big oil leak into compressor?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont believe the oil smelled like fuel.

Right now I have a bunch of motorcraft diesel 10W30 on hand so i put 10q in the pan before doing my compression checking. May be too thin, will have to monitor and ill pick up some 15w40 Delo later on. I first added the 10w30 2 weeks ago when i checked my dipstick and saw i was down over 2q! and it still drank it. but its not like the turbo is a diesel specific one, min recommended oil viscosity on it is 5w20, and i was way within that...unless my oil sheared way way down..

the 500 psi cyclinder, Ill have to retest. Maybe it had carbon in it, or oil or fuel, who some other crap, because an exhaust valve not opening doesnt make sense. Both valves need to be closed to make compression, and its not going to magically take in more air. I will retest tonight. Number 1 was the 4th cylinder I tested, i think i did 3 of them before unhooked power to the IP, so maybe that injector is ******** a bunch of fuel in there. Could be bad valve steam seals-they probably are the original ones with 400k miles on them. PS the compression test was done cold, as this is what the engine sees when doing a cold start...not bad for 400k miles!! Made me kinda proud lol.

I do have an intercooler (6.0 unit) . I thought it would be full of oil, but only a few drops came out of the bottom drain.

GP condition-number 8 (rear closest to driver) was the eroded one, all others looked the same (crappy).

Couuld all this hard starting be caused by super coked up injectors from my oil experiment? Im going to pull them tonight and drop in in my buddies ultrasoninc machine overnight.

Anyone know where I can get just the copper washers? or know their exact dimensions so I can buy some off mcmaster??

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the intercooler isn't full of oil, your blue smoke is probably not from your turbo leak. Seems unlikely but I'm out of my league there. I think you are on the right path. Pull the injectors. If they are coked up and *******, it could be thinning out your oil and letting it blow by. I would think an old engine would drink 10W30 too maybe exacerbating the problem.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This all sounds very good and promising. Could very well be the oil grade, and ******* injectors. If we got a dribbling injector on #8 that could also cause the gp to erode?

They dont have many miles on them, am i correct to think an uktrasonic clean in some paint thinner will clean em up pretty well?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I have read (no first hand experience at all here) you have to break them down to really clean them. That said, I would suspect it depends on how bad they are as to if that is really necessary. If you have a pop tester, you could pull them and see if they dribble.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The eroding glowplug, read on a few vw 1.9 foums leaky injectors were causing eroding tips too.

So i will be taking my injectors apart. Look simple inside, ill just clean em in the US one at a time, or make dividers to do them all at once but organized.

Would rather buy new crush washers, anyone have the dimensions on them so i can order them seperate from retirn kit? Dont need anymore kits lol.

To clean and reassemble, as simple as take apart, clean in ULtra machine, reassemble?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took number 8 inj out, the one with the eroding tip.. Not gunked at the tip but looks like carbon was getting past the ring?? These were new copper washers..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tips on reassembling these injecotrs? Took a spare ine i had apart to check it out, all the shims arenin the body, then spring then 3 shims and a little cone, then its the injector pintle. once i take this number 8 apart well see if the carbon is getting up into the injector as well.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also i checked checked and rechecked number 1 piston...500psi everytime...***?!
Do i have a **** ton of carbon build up in there??

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If only you could see down into the hole to check for oil...
Maybe crank it with the Injector or glowplug out to see if oil comes out?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure ill give it a rip tomorrow. however i sprayed a bunch of kroil in there and all other holes after thenfirst initial compression test and its still reading the same on that 1 hole... It cant be a poorly opening wxhaust galve...can it???

Any comments on that number 8 injector? Looks nasty for sure, and evident it wasnt sealing right..could that also cuase those **** poor cold starts? Hoping a bunchnif crap is in them, will get shaken out in the sonic machine, put back together and bam will light right off... Hey a guys gotta be hopeful eh?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would say clean that injector real well and look for cracks, also look at the Copper for the source of leak, and the Injector seat.
Imo (or at least the way I see it) valve issues will cause low compression. But really say if it were the exhaust valve not opening, I would think you would definitely get a huff out the intake. If it opened late, (worn lobe? Collapsed lifter?) I'm not sure either. I know how they work, but not well versed on different issues and how they all affect compression.
Normally rings will leak a little, but maybe somehow it's all sealed real tight? Just not sure here. Strange one for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if there is some carbon build up in there, i poured some howes down the GP hole along with kroil, once its up and runnign again some hard runs should clean it out.

assembling the injectors..just clean everything real nice and put some drops of diesel into the injector seat and pintle? I will be wearing nitrile gloves doing this the whole time as well.

Should i put a touch of blue loctite on the body threads to make sure it doesnt come apart in the bore? What is the torque spec on the pintle housign to main body? 30ish foot pounds from what my arm tells me during dissasembly of my spares..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took em all apart, cleaned in US for 1.5 hours, the carb cleaned, wire brushed and compressed air blew em all and cleaned. THey difinitly went to gether butter smooth, coming aoart very crusty inside. dindt really see any crap inside the pintle seat.
Goofed on one though, i though i took the shims out of the injector body and beghan blowing it with compressed air...DOH i see something fly out of it..yeah no telling how many shims were in that one...I put 1 spare shim I had in, and taking it to an injector shop today to have him till me the pop pressure. Then will add shims as necessary to get back to 1800 PSI, just waiting on confirmation from Justin.

PS his stage 1s definitly have a different pintle shape over the D code I had taken apart here.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a new compressor oil ring jsut in case...maybe its all jsut as stupid as it cracked or something..
the catch can filling with oil..I am starting to think-if the IC isnt full of it...simply is because there is such a massive volume of oil running into compressor, I also see it on the compressor inlet, and subsequently on the boot where the crancase vent line attaches to pre compressor. its all a downward slope to the catch can from there...maybe its just flowing down and into the catch can??

So, rebuilt injectors going in tonight after bore cleaning, fire the ***** up, monitor the compressor oil, I got that .07" restrictor i can put in line to quickly test if its jsut getting "overrun", see how she goes.... currently it has 10W30 diesel oil in there, picked up 2 gal of 15w40 valvoline blue to put in it if this is "too thin"