Big Ed at the Truck Pulls

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So a couple of years ago I took the truck down to a county fair truck pulls down by Rons house. He met me there and I ran the truck but it was a rainy evening and no traction was to be had. But it was a good time anyway.

This year I decided I wanted to try it again and hope for better track conditions, So Ron met me there tonight, We had a great time lots of trucks and lots of HEAT!

My goal was simple, Don't embarrass myself, don't break anything, and be able to drive the truck the 1 hour trip back home.

Here is the video that I had someone take:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWfdintuigY

Overall It was very successful, I ended up in 4th place, didn't break anything and I am home! ;Sweet

Ron also has a video from a different angle that he will post up sometime.

I lost traction a little at the start and let up just a little and got back into it. It rolled through first I clicked it into second gear without a hitch, I really wanted to hit 3rd gear, and it was close, The problem is that the when I shift it into 3rd, and I have my foot buried into the go pedal I have to let up a little for it to shift. That is what you hear in the video about 2/3rds track was me letting out a to try to get it to go into 3rd, didnt work.. I need to make some sort of VRV adjustment, or get a full manual valve body.

Anyway it was Fun had a great time hanging out with Ron and having him for my pit crew! ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow Darrin that is awesome....sweet...Thanks for the vid and ya post the other one too.

Ifn I ever get to do that with the Bronco I will be amazed...truck pulls are not a big deal around here at all.....so sad....Don't know how a short wheelbase would work...but eh...fun....locked front n rear ;Poke

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
YES!!!!! Looks like fun Darrin. She sounded great in the video - you looked like you were taking a sunday drive as you set so calmly in the drivers seat all laid back - lol....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's sweet Darrin. Thanks for sharing. It's cool to see Big Red Ed rolling coal down the track!

Heath

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, It was a lot of fun, Real happy for the first time run on a dry track.

I just wanted to try it and see how it does, not really compete for the money,...Then after you do it, you dissect everything and look back at what can be done better, If I only did this,...Or that ,...etc. One thing that I forgot to do that Ron asked me about was pump up the rear air bags, What would that have done for me? What if I was able to get into 3rd? What if I put my better tires on it? What if I got into it harder earlier? What if I had Twins,..? LOL Al that stuff goes through you mind, and all I wanted to do was have a little fun,..then the competer in me comes out,..:sly

At the end of the run I eased out of it and did it a little early, should have stayed into it hard till it stopped but again, didn't want to brake anything,.I actually stopped before the flag man told me to. Should have waited for him,...:D

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Also Please stay tuned for some never before seen video of Big Ed at the truck pulls Pre Makeover, and Pre Cummins!

I found the VHS Tape of it and am looking for someone to transfer it to digital so I can post it.

MidnightBlade

Shiftin' Smooth
Reaction score
The one thing I learned from my dad about truck pulling is the skinnier the tires, the better. He had a 1977 F250 with a 300-6 and a T-19 that he bought brand new and at this point in time it was bone stock (late 1977, long before me). He came in third in the stock class, He would have had second if he made it 2 more feet :mad:. He would have had first but he ran out of power before he ran out of traction. I believe he was running 33-10.5-16 or something fairly narrow. His reasoning for this is once you get past the soft top layer of soil the next layer is so hardpacked from never being disturbed that is almost like wet pavement. On wet pavement you get better traction with narrow tires than wide ones.

I'm not sure if he went back after he swapped in the home brewed 390 BB or not. I think by that time he had a set of 38-14-16.5 Ground Hawgs though, I'll have to ask him tonight.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to try it and see how it does, not really compete for the money,...Then after you do it, you dissect everything and look back at what can be done better, If I only did this,...Or that ,...etc.

Oh no! I can see the gears spinning in your head Darrin. You know you want to build a pulling truck now!:D:peelout

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
A 97 degrees and 110 heat index it was a toasty but fun night no doubt!;Sweet

So here's my angle from Darrin's run as I wanted to be as close as I could to get an earfull of that 12 banger working!:thumbsup:

Plus the sun was playing hell on the video image.:mad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZjE4H1gcQc

A good run for just ot having some clean fun.

Now here was the carange run for the night.

A 1/2 ton bricknose with waaaaaay too much power under the hood that twisted a ujoint clean out of the yolk!
:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV5wEo7-VJk

Last edited:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
They let leave your airbags hooked up? Wow, they make you unhook the lines in tech if they see u have them.