Best way to sell a motor?

tnthielen

Reaction score
Best way to sell an engine?

OK Folks,

I have a fall project that is going to be starting in a couple of months and I'm looking to cover some bases...

I have 2 trucks where the engines are coming out and I am replacing them with a Total Moose Power block from Mel. We are currently working out what the core charge and shipping costs will be and I'm thinking it might be a little better to just simply sell my 2 engines as is and just pay for the core charge.

1989 7.3 NA with 150k miles
1992 7.3 NA with 261k miles

Both engines run so what we are thinking is possibly putting them on Craig's List along with a video of them starting and running before we pull them both.

Do any of you all have any other suggestions? What would the market be for these things?

Any advice is appreciated! :D

-Todd

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only time you will get max $$$ for you motors is when the buyer can not only hear it run, but is able to check for blowby and SCA's. otherwise, a motor sitting outside of a chassis already removed is going to get core value offers from savvy buyers. I'm not talking about the $$$ the motor rebuilders charge, I'm talking about scrap value weight. without seeing the truck odo and the condition of the interior, any mileage claims is salesmanship ******** as far as I am concerned.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
If you have a video of it running that will definitely help selling it.
Beware of craigslist scammers. Just sold my 12v not to long ago mostly scammers asking about it
but did get a lot of serious buyers. Guess $1200 was a good price for a Cummins eh Towcat? ;Really

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anytime I sell one I try to go for the most $$$ (obviously). What Ill do is tell the buyer to come check it out in the truck to listen to it run then i offer to pull within a few days and deliver for free within 50 miles. Half up front half on delivery. Sounds fair to me at least.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i second on leaving them in the truck until you have a down payment.

i wont buy an engine thats out of a truck for more than 500 bucks.
i dont care if its complete or not. its a gamble.

i think promar slates 1k for a core.
but they also ship for free.
so the 200 dollar engine i purchased recently is perfect.

may want to look into the shipping fee's
if shipping is 400 bucks, and a core is 1000.
may be worth it to not deal with craigslist flakes.

btw, im envious on your new engine.

tnthielen

Reaction score
i second on leaving them in the truck until you have a down payment.

i wont buy an engine thats out of a truck for more than 500 bucks.
i dont care if its complete or not. its a gamble.

i think promar slates 1k for a core.
but they also ship for free.
so the 200 dollar engine i purchased recently is perfect.

may want to look into the shipping fee's
if shipping is 400 bucks, and a core is 1000.
may be worth it to not deal with craigslist flakes.

btw, im envious on your new engine.

All great points... I'm not looking to make a ton of money, but I'm a little leery (read lazy) about dealing with Craig's List flakes as well. I could just send the engines with what's left of my 92 truck (donor vehicle) to the junk yard for what they will give me, but if these 2 blocks are worth more, I don't want to just give them away either...

Once we start putting the new engine in, there will be tons of pics of engine ****! :D

I'm not too sure if I can support putting together a build thread, but I will have tons of pics, so I'll probably just have a thread showing what all was done...

-Todd

Last edited:

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI Scrap in Denver is only .03-.04 cents a pound right now.

tnthielen

Reaction score
Interesting, I was thinking of possibly trying to sell it to a junkyard but I haven't done any research yet...

I wonder if I'd be lucky to get $1000 for it...

Looks like I need to do more homework...

-Todd

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I was thinking of possibly trying to sell it to a junkyard but I haven't done any research yet...

I wonder if I'd be lucky to get $1000 for it...

Looks like I need to do more homework...

-Todd
you're dreaming way hard. you'll be lucky to get $20 for both motors.
a lazy person rarely will get any reward.
one who works at it, will get better odds. but nothing is guaranteed in life.

tnthielen

Reaction score
you're dreaming way hard. you'll be lucky to get $20 for both motors.
a lazy person rarely will get any reward.
one who works at it, will get better odds. but nothing is guaranteed in life.

LOL! I couldn't agree more! I'm speaking more from an ignorant/inexperienced point of view when it comes to selling these 2 engines. My main goal is to get my truck built and set up the way that I want it. If these engines would bring $700-1000 each the way they are, then I don't want to be foolish and just scrap them for pennies.

But then, that is why I reach out to those of you who have more knowledge/experience than I. :D

Between my full-time job (Technical Instructor) which I occasionally travel for, and working on the parts that I have the skill to accomplish, I could put the time in to get a couple hundred for each engine, but I'm not sure of the hassle factor. That's why I'm inquiring to see if there is a good market for these or if I am just one of the remaining IDI lovers trying to sell a couple of old engines... :)

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it! I'm in the education business, so I'm always eager to learn!

-Todd

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL! I couldn't agree more! I'm speaking more from an ignorant/inexperienced point of view when it comes to selling these 2 motors. My main goal is to get my truck built and set up the way that I want it. If these motors would bring $700-1000 each the way they are, then I don't want to be foolish and just scrap them for pennies.

But then, that is why I reach out to those of you who have more knowledge/experience than I. :D

Between my full-time job (Technical Instructor) which I occasionally travel for, and working on the parts that I have the skill to accomplish, I could put the time in to get a couple hundred for each motor, but I'm not sure of the hassle factor. That's why I'm inquiring to see if there is a good market for these or if I am just one of the remaining IDI lovers trying to sell a couple of old motors... :)

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it! I'm in the education business, so I'm always eager to learn!

-Todd
if I were you, and have space to store them in a clean and dry place, I'd mothball them and put them away. They call me a technical instructor too. Being employed teaching autoshop is a whole other adventure.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Personally $1000 is too much for a idi considering you can pick up a 12v for around $1500
max I would pay is $500 if I can't hear it run.

tnthielen

Reaction score
if I were you, and have space to store them in a clean and dry place, I'd mothball them and put them away. They call me a technical instructor too. Being employed teaching autoshop is a whole other adventure.

Very cool! I teach software, so I don't get to do as much "hands on" as you probably do. Space is at a premium currently, so I'm not sure storing it would work. But it sounds like there really isn't a market for used IDI engines per se? Basically if I happen to find someone looking for it, I might have a sale...

-Todd

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool! I teach software, so I don't get to do as much "hands on" as you probably do. Space is at a premium currently, so I'm not sure storing it would work. But it sounds like there really isn't a market for used IDI motors per se? Basically if I happen to find someone looking for it, I might have a sale...

-Todd
bingo.
we're not exactly a platform gaining popularity. those who know and understand will look for it, but it takes a rare breed of critter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online