Best RTV to seal the injection pump gear housing?

jetfly12

Reaction score
Hello all,
two months ago I took off the IP gear housing and since then it has leaked oil into the valley pan and dripped out of the back of the block through the drainage hole. I used grey RTV and that did not work. Is there any better alternatives? Also should I put thread sealant in any of the bolt holes to prevent any farther leaks? Got the surfaces cleaned the best I can. I attached a picture for the fun of it.

PS, don't worry about the mistake of pulling the timing gear out and messing up the timing. I have this perfect flat polished ice cream scooper that is thin and convex enough that allows me to see and line up the "Y" on the gears. I will attach a picture of the ice cream snooper and maybe you can find one just like it in the cutlery aisle.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are all good IMO. I have used the permatex max torque ultra gray to seal my entire engine and it has been working great. Doesn't get mushy over time and is resistant to oil, heat, vibration etc.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Permatex The Right Stuff works excellent, haven't had any leaks wherever I've used it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pic of scooper thingy

Clean bolt holes out well with brake clean and air...also ensure bolts clean.

Thin bead on tower so long as surgically clean and defect free. Tighten down till ooze....wait tlet set if you can upwards 24 hrs..do final torque should be leak free...

Pic of scoopy thingy

Did I mention scoopy thingy pic?

Just sayin

jetfly12

Reaction score
I am going to try the "right stuff" and see how that goes! Thanks
here is the ice cream scooper thingy

With the right angling and lighting, you can see pretty good, it is easy peasy to find the dot or the "Y" I could not achieve getting a good picture with my big smart phone but you get the idea

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I used some cheap crap and it worked fine. I think the trick (if there is one) is to put the bead on the tower and let it sit for a day after assembly, at least. The silicone should ooze out (a little) all the way around, otherwise you may not have hit the sealing surfaces. You don't really need any sealer on the bolts because they point down. Oil does not drain up, and without looking I think those are blind holes, anyway.

Nice tool for finding the timing mark!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online