Outlandyr

Reaction score
Hey there,

What are the best radiator hoses to use: the reinforced ones with a coiled wire insert.

I saw on the posts that there was discussion about the lower radiator hose collapsing under higher revving and figure that might be why my truck can run all day with normal temps until I start hauling up a hill, then the temp creeps up.
I already did the flush, changed the o rings on the oil cooler and had the radiator boiled and cored. After that, the truck ran reaaaally cool, until I started to push it on a hill. The pipe is burning clean, and so I figure the lower radiator hose might be constricting under load.
I've seen the reinforced hoses before, but I can't remember where.

Thanks for your help.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It could be that your engine is warming up because it's working harder. I'm not trying to talk you out of changing the radiator hose. I'm just letting you know that it may be perfectly normal. When you say that the temperature is creeping up, what do you mean? Is the needle moving toward the "hot" on your factory gauge? These are next to useless. An aftermarket gauge is the best way to keep an eye on your coolant temps. These engines can also run "hot". It doesn't hurt to run them at 220* or even 230* if you're working it hard.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hey there,

What are the best radiator hoses to use: the reinforced ones with a coiled wire insert.

I saw on the posts that there was discussion about the lower radiator hose collapsing under higher revving and figure that might be why my truck can run all day with normal temps until I start hauling up a hill, then the temp creeps up.
I already did the flush, changed the o rings on the oil cooler and had the radiator boiled and cored. After that, the truck ran reaaaally cool, until I started to push it on a hill. The pipe is burning clean, and so I figure the lower radiator hose might be constricting under load.
I've seen the reinforced hoses before, but I can't remember where.

Thanks for your help.

You have to transfer the coil insert from the bottom hose because I don't think any aftermarket hoses come with them. It easily pulls out by hand.

The spring inside the original 1985 hose on my RV wasn't rusted or damaged at all, so I just cleaned up the bit of gunk on it and put it in the new Gates hose. I'm not sure if the upper hose ever had a spring.

If somebody changed the hose and didn't move the spring.... maybe somebody here has a junk IDI with the spring who can send it to you.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC my new NAPA 8092 had a spring in it but, I could be confusing it with the upper. As stated above, aftermarket gauges are the way to go with these trucks.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think that the upper hose has (or needs) a spring. The water pump draws coolant from the radiator through the lower hose. The upper hose only sees pressure so there isn't much danger of it collapsing.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Lets rephrase Gates 21405 lower hose for 31 inch wide radiator had a spring, others may have varying results.

Yeah. I just wanted to chime in, since it's still IDI related; just van specific.