Best mileage

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Ok boys, gotta get something better than this.

Did the fuel up and calculate the mileage tonight and. :puke: :puke: 9.56mpg

Winter fuel stinks.
Prolly doesn't help much with the hubs locked in either, but YIKES.

Even with the cold air induction and all. Maybe santa needs to make a visit to the Gold ones garage this year. :Sly

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well hubs locked in hurts mine too but not near that much drops from 18 down to 15 highway & 13-15 in the woods.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
mine goes down to :mad: like you said,doesnt help with hubs locked and that 8 foot blade hanging off the front.
i dont think mine gets that low,never checked with plow on,figured it doesnt much matter

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Doggie - that sucks the big one... I just filled up tonight and was bummed because mine is down to 17.5 - no additives and I let her run for at least 20 mins before I go anywhere (I think the idle time kills it the most).

Do you have a fuel leak somewhere?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Timing? Injectors? I'd think it almost impossible to get milage that low. I agree the idle time in the winter does kill the milage some. I'm as guilty as any.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Timing? Injectors? I'd think it almost impossible to get milage that low. I agree the idle time in the winter does kill the milage some. I'm as guilty as any.

No fuel leaks found. All the lines dry as the salt on the undercarriage. :puke:

Idle time has increased a bit to keep it warm for the kiddies, but not lengthy.

305 miles with around 32 gallons of fuel. @ $2.43/gal :puke:

Last load must really have a different cetane rating(truck stop fuel) as Goldie is noisier than ever.
I let Frank hear her cold last week :D but now ....(OUCH) better have ear plugs in with the hood up. ;Sweet :D

Mel, Haven't touched the timing since Lisbon. Runs too good to fix it till broken.
Plenty of power too, ask Karen, Got second gear by accident yesterday. :rolleyes:
Turbo might change that tho. :rolleyes:

Fill up before was 12.2 mpg IICRC. :eek:

Best mileage seen was Lisbon bound 16.68 fully loaded bucking the wind. :confused:

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting 12.5 on my 94 IDI turbo,I did a K&N and no muffler,I still need to do the downpipe now that I have it,I need to do it on a day when I can live without the truck,I was hoping for better mileage but what the hell,I don't exactly drive like grandma.I would love to know how some of you get 17-20???????I towed a few cars this week and ended up with 10,at least it has power!!!

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
i think something is rotten in Denmark. or Decatur, anyway.

well, i just fueled up tonight, but i didn't have enough cash on me for beer AND a full tank, so i couldn't check mileage :sorry:
305 miles with around 32 gallons of fuel. @ $2.43/gal
criminy, Ron - i only filled the front tank last time (with a VERY healthy dose of Howes) & today put 10 gallons in it - i had 280 miles on it - was low, but not on E.

i think i'm still getting close to 18 even on winter fuel, but will confirm in 300 miles (5 days?)or so.

how do i get 20mpg?
*keep her under 2000rpm (me? avg 2050 @ 70mph)
*specs in sig, but 2wd, 3:55s, ZF5, slightly taller tires
*fuel additive in every tank (regardless of season)
*15-20% WMO mix gave me 10% gain (that's a fuel additive, huh? :idiot: )
*more air in (ghetto ram air)
*more air out (3" true duals, open)
*synthetic motor oil (i think tranny & diffs will help more)

remember, this is with 250k miles. injectors replaced @ 230k, OE IP still there (and turned up a lot, to boot).

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! 18 mpg!! I get consistently 11 to 12 no matter what I do, always 11 to 12! Pulling the camper it goes to 9 - 10, no matter what I do! I always add additive too but still 11 to 12! I would love 18...Wow that's great!! :hail

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Me too!! 11 to 12 at best 8 to 9 when pulling havy loads. and that was on petrol Bio does seem a little better.

FULL FORCE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least I am not the only one with crap mileage,I figure it is worth the reliablility of the 7.3 over a gasser!! At least mine is reliable.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
i think something is rotten in Denmark. or Decatur, anyway.

i think i'm still getting close to 18 even on winter fuel, but will confirm in 300 miles (5 days?)or so.

remember, this is with 250k miles. injectors replaced @ 230k, OE IP still there (and turned up a lot, to boot).
:moon: Me thinks you have BB on some special exercise program. :rotflmao

Eric that makes me feel better. ;Sweet :rolleyes:

But my ole 85 with the punched out 460 got 9mpg. :eek:
Haven't really been driving her like I stole it. Will be watching a little close this time around, maybe I got a bad load of fuel. :Whatever:

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
today: 275 miles / 15.5 gallons @ $2.36 per = 17.75 mpg.
that'd be on winter fuel, of course & the last week was pretty hard driving...

Howes in that last tank, but no Bunker Fuel.
you fairing any better yet, Ron? hope it was just a bad batch :confused:

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
-cuss

Front tank 20 gallons in, 220 miles on that tank. Not much better but less 4x4 mode tho. :confused:
Signs of winter fuel. :puke:
But this last load I got I think isn't much better. Goldie sounds like she's running a few degrees advanced when accelerating. Poor fuel? No change in timing.