Best Batteries?

sonictech.net

Reaction score
I'm going to be upgrading the batteries in my 84 f-250 idi. From what I've read group 31s will fit this year so that's the size I'm planning to go with but I could use some advice on brand and model that you have been happy with.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had an Interstate, with no battery hold down in the back of my bobcat skid loader for as long as ive owned it. it gets slammed all around, has a wear mark where its hit the drive pulley a few times and still works great. must be 4 years old atleast. I put napa batteries in my idi and i've started it below 10f without being plugged in but Interstate are the best i know of.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had good luck with interstate, exide, diehard and many off brands, in vehicles that start well, with no drains and are driven regularly. I also have seen all those same brands see quick deaths in my vehicles that have had drains. Drains are ******* batteries.
Right now I have group 27 if they ever die, I am will go back to 24s. I've found using synthetic oil and keeping glow plugs, starters, cable, and alternator in good conditions out ways battery size or brand in starting in sub zero weather.

sonictech.net

Reaction score
Who carries Interstate? I see their trucks around all the time but never tried following one to see where it was going.

I've mostly used Walmart batteries in my cars and they always seem to last right to the end of the pro-rated warranty. Not a terrible deal but I want to do better in this truck.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jobber shelf brand.
Google interstate, vendor!

Nimainimai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a buddy who manages a Napa. He says their commercial batteries are top notch, but then went on to say that If I wanted a good battery that can take a lot of banging around and never leave me stranded, that I couldn't do much better than an optima red top (34/78).

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2x on the Optima Reds. I'm running the O'reilly branded AGM in my SC...I"m sold on AGM technology.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too like the optimas, I have one in my TDI but I sure don't like the price.

I've recently started using the NAPA commercial group 31's in the tractors, the tandem dump truck, and I'm about to buy another set for my project truck. Just the weight of them tells me they are a good battery. Probably 5lbs heavier than what I take out and they have an 18 month warranty. Plus the NAPA by work, with my military discount, comes out to $150 for both. Quality batteries at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought the optimas were junk around the vibration of a diesel?
Or has something changed in the last few years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I thought the optimas were junk around the vibration of a diesel?
Or has something changed in the last few years?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I dunno, I don't think optimas are worth the money, if they truly were, wouldn't every new vehicle come with one? ;Really

I'm partial to the Delcos, I have a pair of 31s in my truck, on'e 7 years old and one's 6, just checked 'em on the GR-8 at work yesterday, still test out good ;Sweet

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of these 'off-brand' batteries are made by a battery company for the stores, and to their specs. I used only Sears batteries many years ago. Like anything, the cheaper the store prices, the less battery. << Generalization.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mmm grup 31 with rear threaded posts woudl be ideal for me..

i keep frogetting, do group 31st fit in a 91 with no mods?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker