besides the starter, where all do i need to run power to start truck?

triverrat

Reaction score
i have a 1987 f350 one ton 4x4 with a 6.9 diesel had someone trash my truck flat tires and pulled wires .ive got it to turn over. the glow plug light comes on and goes off like it used to,and im getting gas but it wont fire. it had been starting real easy prior to this .i have a little red wire coming off the drivers side battery that i cant figure out where to put it.what all needs power to make it fire? i would look for spark at the spark plugs if it was a gas engine.but i dont know how to check the glow plugs? can u? how can i find where the fire is making it to or not to?i am real sure its a fire problem .its got fuel and oxygen all thats missing is a spark?.1st diesel i ve owned and havent got a clue.not good at this in the first place . help? thanks

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure all glow plugs have wire connected to them, your battery guage should drop when wait to start light is on this would mean glow plugs are working. Now to make sure there is fuel there is two plugs on top of your fuel pump located top center of your engine both of these should connected the one closest to the driver side should be the fuel on/off( you can run a temp jumper wire/switch to there with 12v to get truck on road again if needed sounds like someone vandalized your wiring possibly) if you have fuel and no glow plugs working there will be white smoke from your tailpipe after cranking on it a bit. My trucks wiring is all switches now due to a electrical meltdown years ago so if needed you can run it all on switches reliably and I can describe how if needed. It's not the most convienent thing but it works and is cheap and relitivky easy with some knowledge of eltricical systems. Probably for less than 50$ Ish it can be done well

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the starter cranks the engine then all you really need power to is the top of the injection pump. The large spade connector closest to the radiator is the fuel shutoff connector needing power to start. the back connector is the cold advance not requiring power to start.