bench to captain chairs

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi all, i just got the ol ford back on the road with all the rot fixed. but went to put my son in the back seat in his car seat and his legs seem to have grown a little too much in the last 4 months because he barely has enough leg room with the bench seat in the front. what kind of job am i looking at to convert over to a captain chair setup? any specific years that will be bolt in? my truck is a 1990 f250 xlt lariat. any helps appreciated, thanks:)

langevette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but here's what I have found from experience. Supercab trucks have a different floor shape than std and crews. You will need seats from the same. I put the 40-20-40s out of an Eddie Bauer super into my crew and had to get a seat frame from a std cab to bolt it all in. Btw the split bench it's the cats pajamas IMHO.
Matthew

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mounting locations should already be marked under the cab. My current bench seats and the two before that were all out of crew cabs and bolted right into place once I drilled through the washers that were welded under the cab.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the 40/20/40, super comfortable. I bought mine from a guy who was switching over to captain chairs. Two months later he called and offered to give me my money back PLUS the captain chairs if I gave him his bench back. Apparently they were not the most comfortable. Too bad for him my backside had fallen in love with his seat. Check out both before you decide which way to go. I also have little ones. I have a CC, but a child seat should do just fine in the center of the back seat with the "20" portion folded down.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the 40/20/40, super comfortable. I bought mine from a guy who was switching over to captain chairs. Two months later he called and offered to give me my money back PLUS the captain chairs if I gave him his bench back. Apparently they were not the most comfortable. Too bad for him my backside had fallen in love with his seat. Check out both before you decide which way to go. I also have little ones. I have a CC, but a child seat should do just fine in the center of the back seat with the "20" portion folded down.

And by 40/20/40 you guys mean the bench with the foldable middle like the dodge benches?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I got a score on a set of Lariat 60/40 seats from a 03 F 150 supercrew that fit good and took about 5 hours to make brackets and get em in.;Sweet

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a score on a set of Lariat 60/40 seats from a 03 F 150 supercrew that fit good and took about 5 hours to make brackets and get em in.;Sweet

Nice, my original plan was to put dodge seats in the truck but having a young family and already have 50+ hours work into the truck makes to be a bit tough.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
40/20/40 seats are the buckets with center seat that folds down with cupholders, storage dealy and armrest available in the down position.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 40/20/40s are nice, but all the ones I've sat in aren't nearly as springy as a good bench seat. Some do have lumbar support which is nice, and the center fold down console thing and ability to also carry 3 people is really nice. I pulled rear captains chairs out of an 89 Dodge van, and with a small amount of fabrication (all I had at the time was a dremel tool and a drill, I'm not kidding) was able to get them bolted in. Very springy, they really help take the shock out of the 1 ton truck suspension.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 40/20/40s are nice, but all the ones I've sat in aren't nearly as springy as a good bench seat. Some do have lumbar support which is nice, and the center fold down console thing and ability to also carry 3 people is really nice. I pulled rear captains chairs out of an 89 Dodge van, and with a small amount of fabrication (all I had at the time was a dremel tool and a drill, I'm not kidding) was able to get them bolted in. Very springy, they really help take the shock out of the 1 ton truck suspension.

That's a good idea. Maybe I should just start looking for buckets out of a van, or maybe a bronco?I'm fairly handy so fab work isn't a problem I'd just like to keep it to a minimum if possible.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I had an old 86 std. cab with captains chairs, makes you feel like your sitting too high if you fab your own brackets. Like your drivin a freakin bus LOL the huge console is nice to have though ;Sweet mine came out of an old PSD SD ambulance