Beefing up a C6

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really heard much good from a C6, but what are easy ways to beef up a C6, or at least to keep one alive? I'm open to do anything but don't exactly know about the mysticism of Auto trannies. (been a three pedal person all my life) Something about changing valve bodies, B&M stuff, Lockup Converters, yada yada. This trannies' gonna be run hard, and be in a lot of mud. I've got a budget of a bout 250-300 for this tranny, counting fluid, gaskets and small stuff.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Other than the non locking converters, they're a pretty stout slushbox and pretty inexpensive to go thru too.:dunno

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, how much do they sell for :D on eBay?
It would be great If I could trade one for a good ZF-5...but I doubt it.
I would be fine building this one up, but I just wanna know if there's anything I need to look out for, and what I could do for $250-300.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt mine and put a 10 clutch pack in it. Didn't need to do anything to the valve body really. I built it up for towing, just in case, but never really did any with it. I'm about to yank it out and put a ZF-5 in it, just cause I need an overdrive. It's up for grabs if you want to make me an offer. I'd say it has about 30,000 miles on it, all in commuter service. If you want to rebuild yours there are CD's and videos on doing it, and you can get upgrade parts from Sentinel Automotive in Lancaster PA.

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a price range for the upgrade parts you put in it? I don't want to buy a new one, I would just soon have a spare ZF, but I wouldn't mind putting just a little in this one to hold up for some pasture rompin' or something

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The C6 is probably the most indestructible tranny ford ever made if we are talking stock build. I never had so much as a hiccup from mine an even after turbocharging the engine, the shifts were still nice and firm near full power. 2-3 felt more like a launch at 50 MPH.

Put a big cooler in there and maybe a mild shift kit. If you want to run higher Hp later on, then maybe consider a stronger TC.

I think they are safe to about 300 Hp right out of the box with no chances at all. Structurally, they can go past 1000 Hp rather easily.

Mel, which pack did you replace with the 10 friction element? low, intermediate or direct?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The C6 is a good auto. Keep it cool and it will go almost forever. I just don't like running an automatic and I too want to replace the C6 in my CC with a ZF5. It is staggering to see and feel the difference between the C6 and the T19 in my other truck. It just seems so pointless to waste all that power and RPM spinning that dang non-locking TC. With the T19, it's like my right foot is connected to the rear wheels. Plus, I want to shift when I decide to.

Heath

sootman73

Reaction score
really you could go to any trans shop and talk to an expert and he can give you all the info of the top of his head. theres many many things you can do to those trannies. my builder told me guys used to ramp the pressure up so much that they would balloon the TC!

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
iv got one in my mud truck and its great and takes a beating. i dont know what extactly was done to it before i got it, he said clutches converter and stage 2 shift kit which i think changes the valve body. in the mud i wouldnt want a stick personally.

sassyrel

Reaction score
forget the b&m--it carrys high line pressure----ALL THE TIME!!! and makes for hard shifts--which you dont need, just firm shifts--superior,or trans go

sassyrel

Reaction score
I rebuilt mine and put a 10 clutch pack in it. Didn't need to do anything to the valve body really. I built it up for towing, just in case, but never really did any with it. I'm about to yank it out and put a ZF-5 in it, just cause I need an overdrive. It's up for grabs if you want to make me an offer. I'd say it has about 30,000 miles on it, all in commuter service. If you want to rebuild yours there are CD's and videos on doing it, and you can get upgrade parts from Sentinel Automotive in Lancaster PA.

as david asked--which one got the 10 element upgrade???

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The C6 is the TH400 in Ford World. Had one in my E350 hauler, and aside of the fact it sucks a lot of power, you can't kill one. I agree with about the TransGo shift kit, nice and positive, not hard at all. There are some things to free up the power but it can get pricey. I just only wish Ford had made a trans with the strength of the C6 and an overdrive from the factory, like the GM 4L80E.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The C6 is the TH400 in Ford World. Had one in my E350 hauler, and aside of the fact it sucks a lot of power, you can't kill one. I agree with about the TransGo shift kit, nice and positive, not hard at all. There are some things to free up the power but it can get pricey. I just only wish Ford had made a trans with the strength of the C6 and an overdrive from the factory, like the GM 4L80E.

the e4od's, from about 97 on, had plenty of updates, and were plenty strong. the only problem was, the cheap coolers ford used--the later ones were much larger. and also--how about a full bearing c6???:D

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
the e4od's, from about 97 on, had plenty of updates, and were plenty strong. the only problem was, the cheap coolers ford used--the later ones were much larger. and also--how about a full bearing c6???:D

Full roller C6, mmmm, oh yeah -Drool. I forgot how much it is to do the roller conversion, but isn't that a drag only thing or can you run something like that in other applications?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
My C6 is holding up great behind the Cummins. It has a mild build with a shift kit, and a low Stall converter.

I am considering a full manual valve body, and there is a TC that I think ACI Makes that is designed to give a lot less slip, and act like a Lock up. I will be looking into that someday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Staff online

Members online