Bearings spec out TIGHT, what to do with Rings and cleaning?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Hey guys, well the main and rod bearings spec out extremely tight, like they're hardly even broken in. Main bearings are a little shiny, as is the top side of the rod bearings, but I know what layer wear looks like and these arent even close to wearing into the first layer. I'm gonna call the bearings good.
Now I have the issue of cleaning the engine and checking the piston rings. This truck sat for years and years, and my machinist told me when I bought it that the burning oil was probably coming from stuck rings. So I think I'd be an idiot if I didn't pull all the pistons and clean the rings, and if I do that I may as well install new rings and rehone the cylinders, or should I just take the chance and leave well enough alone? I have seen no lines in the cylinders, still can see the honing under the slight glaze. As you know there is one cylinder I need to pull and rehone or scuff up with a scotch brite because of water in the cylinder.
What's your guys thoughts?
Also, this block is a disaster, greasy as all hell. I have access to a Hotsey and figured I'd clean it with that. Probably would be best to just wait until I get it buttoned all back up and then wash it off, correct?

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Oh yes, Pull those pistons and yank the rings off and go after those ring grooves with a ring groove cleaner ( get ready to have some REALLY sore hands ) There is most likely going to be a nice hard carbon/varnish buildup in there to scrape out. Then hone the holes and give it new rings. you will be glad you did. If the thing likely had stuck rings, it would make no sense to not take care of it since you are this close.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the rings can be reused once you pull them out. They won't reseat from what I understand.

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
If you can see any glaze on the cylinders then you need to break that with a light honing, running it won't do it. Why it glazed would be good to know, maybe extended idleing, short trips where it never got hot enough, bad rings or a poor rebuild in the first place. It's anyones guess. Hone it, slap some new rings in and run it.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go here Use a cylinder hone like the 4", it's important to use plenty of, mineral seal oil, fuel oil or keroseen when honing, that will keep the cyl. wall's straight and break the glaze. Set the block so the cylinders are horizontal so the honing fluid runs out the top of the cyl., that helps to keep the honing fluid away from the crank bearings.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are pulling the rods and pistons that would be the best time to clean the block IMO. I certainly wouldn't do it after reassembly. Then if you've got water contamination you either won't know it or will have a hard time removing it then only to have to worry about whether you got it all or if it did any corrosive damage to your fresh engine internals.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unless there is water damage or severe neglect, rings dont stick. I would re ring it since you are this far. Have fun

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Pull the pistons, re-ring it. Hone as stated above. Use an old ring as a groove cleaner, just cut it and fill the end sharp and tape up the other end - works like a charm. If you plan to re-use the rod bearings I would flip them if possible (if they both have an oil hole) and put the best looking 1/2 on the thrust side. Personally, good or not I would put new bearings in....Cheap peace of mind and oil pressure IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online