Batteries load tested ok but voltage dropping

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
It would be hard to warranty them if their tester passes them. I doubt they want to hand over $300 in batteries when their tester says they are good.

I tried putting fuses one at time while watching the idle voltage but no change or spark plugging fuses back in, except the dome light fuse and it was a very small spark.

I also unplugged the harness from the alternator, no change either.

Voltage regulator maybe? Can they be a parasite? I kept the old original since it wasn't bad, but rather the alternator last year.

But no, I think it's equally weak batteries that just didn't last.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always leave the lights on for a while if you want to kill the battery. Get it fully dead and it probably won't recover with a charge, if it was a weak battery in the first place.
Then warranty the crummy thing. Two years is too little.

That being said, if you have to buy new batteries, get bigger ones! Those look too small physically to have enough reserve available. You want to see 950+ CCAs if you can... Or at least a ton of reserve capacity(RC).
(Note: Interestingly enough, a little 550CCA battery will crank an IDI... for a few seconds. More CCA available and more RC gives you more total cranking time.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You could always leave the lights on for a while if you want to kill the battery. Get it fully dead and it probably won't recover with a charge, if it was a weak battery in the first place.
Then warranty the crummy thing. Two years is too little.

That being said, if you have to buy new batteries, get bigger ones! Those look too small physically to have enough reserve available. You want to see 950+ CCAs if you can... Or at least a ton of reserve capacity(RC).
(Note: Interestingly enough, a little 550CCA battery will crank an IDI... for a few seconds. More CCA available and more RC gives you more total cranking time.

It's my only vehicle. If I make them totally dead on purpose, I'll be screwed.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my only vehicle. If I make them totally dead on purpose, I'll be screwed.
Buy one spare battery. Use that. One good battery will get your truck started unless it's like -10F.

Then, get your other two warrantied, and either keep or return your spare.

Also - check with Costco for batteries. If you have a membership, the picker says that they'd be $95 each - a lot cheaper than others.
https://costco.interstatebatteries....54&choice4=1212064&choice5=1212065&Country=US

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Buy one spare battery. Use that. One good battery will get your truck started unless it's like -10F.

Then, get your other two warrantied, and either keep or return your spare.

Also - check with Costco for batteries. If you have a membership, the picker says that they'd be $95 each - a lot cheaper than others.
https://costco.interstatebatteries....54&choice4=1212064&choice5=1212065&Country=US

I don't have Costco membership. Walmart's batteries are $94 for the 5 year batteries and can be warrantied a lot more easily location wise. They had proper CCAs too.

Now that I'm down in Texas, it's less cold currently and they are just good enough still to start, so maybe around January I might need to do something.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have Costco membership. Walmart's batteries are $94 for the 5 year batteries and can be warrantied a lot more easily location wise. They had proper CCAs too.

Now that I'm down in Texas, it's less cold currently and they are just good enough still to start, so maybe around January I might need to do something.

Glad I read this thread didn't know walmart aka chitmart used to work there had big cca battieries for our trucks I'll have to look at the local one n hell $94 is better when what I paid for a interstate battery was $160 n crapped out so got a replacement

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Glad I read this thread didn't know walmart aka chitmart used to work there had big cca battieries for our trucks I'll have to look at the local one n hell $94 is better when what I paid for a interstate battery was $160 n crapped out so got a replacement

Yep its hard to beat the walmart Maxx batteries no matter what it's going in.

The cheap $50 group 65s are lower CCA. I'd probably throw them in if I was trying to sell the truck and it needed batteries.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my mid-tronics tester I’ve seen batteries test with correct voltage but way low on the cca’s, also in my experience it’s best to pull them out individually to test them in the future.

I’ve seen lots of folks run the Legend batteries from NAPA (East Penn/Dekka) that held up reliably for years on a healthy electrical system

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
On my mid-tronics tester I’ve seen batteries test with correct voltage but way low on the cca’s, also in my experience it’s best to pull them out individually to test them in the future.

That is how they were tested.

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep its hard to beat the walmart Maxx batteries no matter what it's going in.

The cheap $50 group 65s are lower CCA. I'd probably throw them in if I was trying to sell the truck and it needed batteries.

I'll remember that next time I venture to walmart as of right now the two interstate ones are good for now my end goal will be to get two 1k cca battieries but $300 plus a crack out my budget

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Once again, after a hard freeze, its being a pain. I don't have electricity here unfortunately and my generator is too small for the block heater, so i guess ill keep recharging the batteries until i can get it going. Almost seems like air intrusion too but seems odd only during hard freezes. I probably overdosed the fuel on antigel 15 miles before i got here during a fill up, so i know it's not that.

That or not enough glow plugs are working due to the crappy harness. 4 cycles didn't get it going, but by then the batteries were weak and getting weaker with every rotation.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When your starter quits, And it will trying to start with low charge batteries, you may want to have a DB Electric starter to spin it over. If it doesn't spin fast enough, it will not create enough heat (compression) to fire the fuel in the cylinder.
GOOD LUCK on the start!!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
When your starter quits, And it will trying to start with low charge batteries, you may want to have a DB Electric starter to spin it over. If it doesn't spin fast enough, it will not create enough heat (compression) to fire the fuel in the cylinder.
GOOD LUCK on the start!!

After 45 minutes on my generator's 5A battery charger, I got it going easily. I guess I can't put it off anymore. I'll see about getting new Walmart batteries this weekend. Trying to warranty these oreilly batteries is a lost cause. Their policy requires a receipt and states it's only for the original owner of the batteries. I don't have the receipt nor are they registered to me by phone number in their system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86