Banks sidewinder turbo kit for manual transmission... in an auto truck?

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Been doing some informal shopping for turbo kits.

All three Banks Sidewinder kits can be found on Amazon within wildly varying price ranges. One can be had new for $2500... for a manual transmission truck. I have E4OD.

Can anyone comment on what I'm missing out on, or perhaps what won't fit if I bought one of these instead of what I'm supposed to get?

Thanks

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes they will fit.you'll not receive the electronic transmission control shift kit.ideally you don't want one of those anyway.it's far better to mod the valve body.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about the up& down pipes being too close to the servos and solenoids?

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt responses.

I wasn't aware of the transmission module included with the turbo kit. If it's not critical, I consider that a good thing. I did do a full installation of the Tugger kit while I was repairing my transmission.

Interested in hearing more about the up and down pipes being different among the kits for specific transmissions.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
iv got used kits from manual trucks in mine.when talking about the 2nd generation banks kits,the same up pipe and crossover pipes are used.identical part numbers as shown in the instructions/part# pdf.the solenoids are internal on the e4.

the old discontinued square box banks kits used different pipes.

as for buying on amazon;
chase freedom is currently offering 10% off! ;)
(not much good if you'll be carrying a balance though.)

something else to consider which may be cheaper;
i called banks one time to see if they'd sell me the kit minus the e4od control box and exhaust.they will and the price was much lower.something to check out.......of course you've got to increase the exhaust but on chip truck,i had already done that.
you would still need the down pipe,and the intermediate pipe (where it comes out of the odd size dp,turns to run level with truck and expand to normal 3")

Last edited:

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's really nothing wrong with my exhaust, it's stock. I woudn't say no to a new one though. I like the thought of everything coming new out of the box ready to bolt on.

I also like the idea of paying much less for a take off factory (or similar) ATS unit, perhaps with a wicked wheel (need to look deeper into the benefits of that one). However I can almost guarantee there will be some hassle and aggravation in finding all the little bits that go along.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the stock exhaust is too small for the turbo kit.your EGT's would be too high and you would have a loss of performance.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Hydro-idi is contemplating selling his 088 kit.
the pipes do need a bit of work, but from the previous posts, youll be doing that anyway.
it has been rebuilt by Russ last year.
contact him for price and availability.
way cheaper than the 2500 dollar price tag.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just keep in mind an 088 isn't going to feel anything like a 2nd gen banks.vastly different turbos.the banks is instantaneous off idle.a quick hard pulling off the line turbo.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just keep in mind an 088 isn't going to feel anything like a 2nd gen banks.vastly different turbos.the banks is instantaneous off idle.a quick hard pulling off the line turbo.

I'm not trying to set any records necessarily, so I consider a good used kit a great option. I was honestly hoping for an 093, but I'll research the 088 a bit more. Consider me interested.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I plan on putting my 088 on the market in the near future. I recently tweeked the collector pipe to for better fitment along with installing stiffer joint springs to get rid of that small leak it had. Kit will be in 100% complete & pristine condition including new seals for installation. Russ did a complete rebuild last year replacing both cold & hot wheels along with shaft. She pushes out 11 psi unloaded. Has roughly 500 miles on rebuild, so consider it damn near brand new. This is my hobby truck & don't drive it much. However, a new banks turbo kit is sure worth it if you got the coin. Sure hope I didn't hijack this thread lol. Proceed

mcghan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed banks kit last year on bertha last year,made a huge difference,but banks is expensive to repair if needed to repair and i dont believe are able to up grade,if buying new i wuold look for different options,if i would have had the time i would have looked around for a used turbo kit,even if you had to rebuild turbo would be way cheaper

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I plan on putting my 088 on the market in the near future...Sure hope I didn't hijack this thread lol. Proceed

Sounds like a nice setup, please do let me know if and when you decide to pull the trigger on selling.

No worries on hijacking the thread. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want someone to come forward with a kit they were looking to sell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online