Banks pyrometer gauge issues

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got this gauge on the ambulance, and I’m having issues getting it to work.
You must be registered for see images attach
Everything is wired according to the banks diagram and the needle increases with temperature but it gets stuck at the highest point and will not decrease in temp until the power is shut off. Sounds to me that the gauge is bad itself but the sender is okay. What do y’all think?

centennial60

Reaction score
The gauge has power going to it? My banks pyro just has the + and - from the thermocouple. But it may be an older version. Either way it sounds like the gauge is bad. If you had an open in the thermocouple wiring it would go to zero and if the thermocouple wiring was shorted together it would read the temp at that spot.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only power going to the gauge is for the bulb, it just had the + and - from the sensor like you said.

centennial60

Reaction score
Ok, if disconnecting the t/c wire makes it go to 0 that kinda rules out the gauge in my opinion. I have seen t/c’s that have failed internally fail high.

FordIDIot

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your egt probe is shot. That gauge works on mili-volts. My same gauge with a new isspro sender sits at the 50dg mark whenever it's cold.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would try a different probe. Any type k thermocouple should work.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got off the phone with banks tech support, they gave me the ohm specs for testing the gauge and sender and the gauge fails. New banks pyro ordered and on its way. Thanks for the help guys!

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got off the phone with banks tech support, they gave me the ohm specs for testing the gauge and sender and the gauge fails. New banks pyro ordered and on its way. Thanks for the help guys!

By chance can you post specs and how you tested it??? My gauge flips out, it will read fine for a few minutes, turn the corner and goes to 0. Stays there for a while then jumps to 500-800-200... I will be checking the wires when I have a chance to work on it again and pulling the t/c to look for damage ect.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nostrokes, when my Guage was acting like yours it was the connection. Had to take connection apart (2 small screws and nuts) they looked fine but using steel wool could see like a coat of scale come off. As stated it is measuring millivolts so it’s very sensitive.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. I will double check that. Probably throw some electrical grease on them too.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s what it sounds like to me, I don’t have the specs unfortunately since I was checking on the fly with them on the phone. It sounded like every gauge had very different specs, they needed the model number for my gauge to get the specs.