Banks 3" down pipe

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just figured i would put info up incase anyone else is wanting one, i just got off the phone and ordered the down pipe, $92.16 on sale right now the guy said...$15.00 shipping but i am in FL ... but i didn't think the price was too bad.. can't wait to recieve it now and bust some knuckles putting it on!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Was this the V band or the bolted flange down pipe. What turbo did you buy this for. Wastegated or non gated.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
beats me.. he just asked whats its for i told him 94 ford, 7.3 IDI, factory turbo... wouldn't have know the answers to your questions had he asked me in all honesty...

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put mine on a few weeks ago. It's not that bad really. You can work the dp down from above if you're patient. After some trial and error I put the v band on the turbo exhaust housing and worked the Banks dp up into it. I layed on the engine on the driver side and reached around behind the turbo with my left hand to work the dp into the clamp and held the dp up with the EGT port welded on to the dp with my right. The problem I had is that the metal thickness on the factory downpipe is thicker than the Banks so I think there is a little bit of gap between the housing and the dp when the clamp is tightened. Essentially the V band needs replaced with one that has a more narrow "v". I cut the flare off of the factory dp and put it onto the banks to make a thicker flare but I couldn't get everything into the clamp so I just left it. $30 from NAPA for a v clamp with a .25" v and 3.25" diameter.

Not sure if your's is different, but inside diameter ends up being more like 2.75". I have an old fuel system so I didn't really notice a power difference, but what I did notice is a lot less drag when you pop the clutch to shift. Also, the sound is veeeery nice.

CAUTION: Immediately put your exhaust back on or you may fall in love with the rumble and turbo whistle you get with the dp only! :D

Good luck, keep us posted ;Sweet

Last edited:

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zaggnut - you said your EGT port is in your DP? i have my pyro on order and have to install it as well.. but read that most people place it in the exh manifold?

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
zaggnut - you said your EGT port is in your DP? i have my pyro on order and have to install it as well.. but read that most people place it in the exh manifold?

It goes in the drivers side exhaust manifold between 6&8 I believe (from memory on the #'s). That is the most accurate spot to measure the true exhaust temps from.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Sorry for the confusion. The PORT is on it. It will be on your DP as well. It is 1.5" port welded into the side of your DP with a bolt screwed into it. I had my finger hooked on it to hold the DP in place. It is up to you if you want to use it, but as mentioned the exhaust manifold will give you a more accurate reading. I don't have my EGT yet.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i plan on going between cyl 6&8.. should have pyro today... down pipe suppose to be at my door next wednesday.. then ordering a diamond eye 4 or 5" exhaust

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online