Bad Oil Test Results, Help!!!

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
hheynow said:
If it were me, I'd use only the grade of oil that was recommended by the manufacturer regardless of what my friends use regardless of their results.

You are absolutely correct and I did that for the first 66,700 miles that I owned the truck, as I used Rotella T 15W40. It was only the last 6800 miles that I ran the Synthetic 5W30. That's why I said I did not blame the oil for my high iron levels.

For me it's a personal choice and I am not in any way bad mouthing synthetic oils but I for one felt uncomfortable using Synthetic oil but did so because of the ease of winter starting. Unfortunately I chose the wrong weight oil, it's not the first mistake I've made and it probably won't be the last.

I've already posted this problem on "bobistheoilguy" and gotten the following replies from 59 Vetteman . It's not the answer, but it's a start.Thanks again for that link.

I think you course of action is perfect. Changing back to a 15w40 and 3K changes. Do a UOA on each one.

Some PSD's just don't like 5W30 oil, synthetic or dino, for some reason. And your analysis proves that point. You may want to go to Shell 5W40 Synthetic for your winter months.

One question, have you done any work on the turbo such as adding a WW or anything else before the high iron started? Just curious.

I would send those analysis to Dyson Analysis for a read/interpretation. I think it would be money well spent. Being a 2000 engine, you may have some warranty left, but most Dealers will not do anything on an analysis report. That is why I recommend an expert interpretation. Just some leverage before your warranty expires.
Go to this link: Dyson Analysis

When an engine is driven harder the iron will/can increase slightly, as in pulling a 5'th wheel or Trailer. This is normal. But in your case, adding a new turbo and WW, you have increased your boost levels from 19-22 PSI max boost to probably in the 32-40 PSI max boost range. (My guess from others that use this turbo and wheel.) That is not a bad thing, but a consideration when looking at results. Now that is the extent of my knowledge on this. Dyson Analysis can give you an in-depth read out. BUT be sure to give him the complete picture on Mods and boost and chip, if any and how you use the truck.

I hope this helps.
Something keeps bothering me about your analysis. First you went 5K miles and then you went 6.8K miles. Iron more than doubled and so did your silicon with just 1.8K more miles. Check your air cleaner. With that many miles on your truck, a silicon of 17 is notable. For the first 40K miles on a PSD, we always blame the silicon gaskets. But they should have leached by now. I suspect air cleaner or tubing connections and your use of 30 weight oil.

I wouldn't fall out of my chair on a 55 iron in 5K. But I would darn sure start looking. Your reading at 6.8K miles is a concern and not normal.

Sorry that I can't help you more, but I am an amateur on Interpretations. I do use Dyson analysis for my readings. So far he has kept me out of trouble on 2 PSD's.

Thanks again for all your help.

Y2KPSD

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Well I got my test results back today and I'm very dissapointed in the Redline 15W40. Both copper and lead are now high. I should have stuck with the Delo 15W40 which has served me well. I'll be changing out my oil tomorrow and will go back to Delo and will retest the oil again soon.

Attachments

• Blackstone_218,326 miles.JPG
    Blackstone_218,326 miles.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 12

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online