Bad Oil Test Results, Help!!!

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
I got back my oil analysis from Blackstone today and for the second time they said my iron wear is extremely high. Read this:

The iron wear continues to increase, either from some sort of problem developing at steel parts,
or possibly due to the long oil use interval. Average iron wear for this type engine runs 17 ppm after
(an average of) 5,090 miles run on the oil. Your iron wear has nearly doubled since the last sample.
You could drop off miles oil use for the next sample to average, to see if iron will drop. If it doesn't, it
may point to a problem. All the other metals coming from the engine are in the normal range and you
oil filter is working. The TBN was 8.5, so plenty of additive is left
The universal average is 17
At 66k mine was 57 with 5000 miles on Rotella T 15W40 oil
At 74k mine was 103 with 7000 miles on Amsoil Synthetic 5W30 oil

At 66k I switched to Amsoil Synthetic 5W30 hoping that would help but the iron wear has gotten worse, in fact it has almost doubled. I was less then a quart low at 7000 miles. I've heard of guys running Amsoil Synthetic for 20 or 30 thousand miles. Is that BS? If I need to change oil every 3000 miles I'll go back to Rotella T 15W40
What could cause such high iron wear in the engine? Am I headed for a major catastrophe and is there anything I can do now to prevent one?

I need some help. What should I do?

Y2KPSD

swh22

Reaction score
The only thing you need to be careful about with this stuff is that you are using perfectly clean containers, have a perfectly clean technique for sampling the oil, etc. because it's real easy to get something in there by accident. I haven't done an oil analysis on my truck yet because it's just one more thing to worry about. If you take good care of your truck - filters, fluids, etc. - then I wouldn't get too worked up about it. My iron wear could be twice as high as yours and I'll never know, but the truck runs fine and I don't spend all day worrying if my engine is about to quit...and she keeps running ;Sweet How many strokes, or any new car/truck, has a well maintained engine quit at 70k miles?

Sorry, that's probably no help cookoo

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does Blackstone know that you changed oil brands and types (dino to synth)? I wonder if Blackstone has any data regarding the first oil change after doing such a switch,, ie, does it "clean" the crap outta the inside of the engine etc etc...... What I would do is pull a sample of the oil you have in there now after about 2500 miles and send it in, dont change the oil out, just grab a sample. Are you doing regular filter changes while going extended miles on the oil or are you running a second bypass filtration system?

Curiously enough, I have pushed Delo 400 to 8000 miles and sampled it and had Blackstone come back with "Looks good, try going 10K on it" :eek: I pulled the reigns back on that, it was mostly a test for personal satisfaction. I try to change my dino oil between 5 and 6K.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
Why are you using 5w30 anyway that is way to lite to me me. I use Ams oil 15-40 heavy duty diesel marine and all my oil anaylis come back fine. 5 w 30 just sounds way to thin for a diesel engine at normal ambient temps. And if Ford is using 5 w 30 in them from the factory that is probally why I have not bought a new one.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Does Blackstone know that you changed oil brands and types (dino to synth)? I wonder if Blackstone has any data regarding the first oil change after doing such a switch,, ie, does it "clean" the crap outta the inside of the engine etc etc......

Good point. I've been using Delo 15W40 since 2002 and have driven 100K miles with it with a change interval of 4K. My Blackstone results have been great ;Sweet . I changed to Redline synthetic 15W40 last oil change and will be sending in my first sample soon. I hope to see similar results with the synthetic.

Attachments

• Blackstone_Report_at_205,321.jpg
    Blackstone_Report_at_205,321.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
Well I've had time to think about my unfavorable oil analysis and the many replies and suggestions I received from friends and strangers alike.

I've decided to return to using the Rotella T 15W40 Dino oil and change it every 3000 miles. I was changing the oil every 5000 miles until I switched to the Amsoil Synthetic 5W30. I choose that over the 15W40 because many of my friends were using it without incident but always felt uncomfortable about the extended oil change intervals suggested with the use of that synthetic oil.

Someone asked about the containers and technique for sampling the oil, which could effect the outcome of the results. Blackstone supplies the test kits and anyone who has done this knows how to fill the container while draining the oil.

Another point to be taken is how you use the truck. I run the hell out of my truck and just recently pulled my 13000# 5er and I did not baby it. But I seldom do that. Mostly I run hard but unloaded.

It was surprising how many guys don't even test their oil. One fella told me not to worry about it. Sometimes we get too much information he says! I know some guys who have never done an oil analysis! Never, and they don't worry about it either!

So this morning I changed the oil back to Rotella T 15W40 and in 3000 miles I'll send another sample to Blackstone and see if there are any changes in the iron levels. It may take several oil changes before anything shows up but if after that there are no significant changes then I'll start looking at the cylinders, rotating shafts, the valve train, and any steel part sharing the oil. To add to that, I've been told, the low pressure oil pump is a steel lobe type pump with contact wear. Also the crankshaft/camshaft/HPOP gear set. Of course I don't know what any of that means. I'd have to have a mechanic do all the looking! But at least it sounds like a plan.

Thanks again to everyone who replied with their opinions and suggestions.

Y2KPSD
Gar Hanson
President WNYPA
www.wnypa.org

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Good point. I've been using Delo 15W40 since 2002 and have driven 100K miles with it with a change interval of 4K. My Blackstone results have been great ;Sweet . I changed to Redline synthetic 15W40 last oil change and will be sending in my first sample soon. I hope to see similar results with the synthetic.
With the results I have seen from Blackstone I cannot bring myself to change to synth, even when I pushed that one oil change to 8000 miles my results were still fantastic. I guess with you changing to synth it will be neat to see what your next report says. I'm not doing regular sampling any longer. Once a year now that I have a good feel for what the engine is doing.

If you would, post your results next time you get a report back Richard.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
With the results I have seen from Blackstone I cannot bring myself to change to synth, even when I pushed that one oil change to 8000 miles my results were still fantastic. I guess with you changing to synth it will be neat to see what your next report says. I'm not doing regular sampling any longer. Once a year now that I have a good feel for what the engine is doing

DON'T GET ME NERVOUS :draw ! I'm really anxious to see the results too but I have a ways to go before I send it in. I'll post it in this thread.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, we will be eagerly awaiting the results.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
hheynow said:
Y2KPSD, Why don't you register at: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com ? IMO it is the best oil forum on the internet. Ask your question there for a good second opinion.

hheynow,

I did just that late last night. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to send him a copy of my Blackstone report and ask him his opinion and see if he has any ideas.

I can say one thing, I'm done with Amsoil Synthetic. Although I did like the ease of winter starting with the Synthetic oil. In fact, I hardly ever plugged in my truck last winter.

I'll let you guys know what "Bob the oil guy" says.

Gar
Y2KPSD

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I think you were just using too lite of a grade of oil and giving synth and bad wrap because of it. Extended oil changes are fine with synth as long as you use the right stuff.

Y2KPSD

Reaction score
RKOCH said:
I think you were just using too lite of a grade of oil and giving synth and bad wrap because of it. Extended oil changes are fine with synth as long as you use the right stuff.

I'm not blaming the synthetic oil for my high iron levels. I had high levels before I switched to Amsoil Synthetic. It's true the iron level almost doubled after switching to the Amsoil but I did not blame it on that. The reason I'm done with synthetic is, as suggested by Blackstone, I'm going to change my oil every 3000 miles and I'm not going to spend the extra money on Amsoil to do just that. Although I did like the ease of winter starting with the Synthetic oil, I always felt uncomfortable about the extended oil change intervals suggested with the use of that oil.

I choose Amsoil Synthetic 5W30 over the 15W40 because many of my friends were using it without incident and continue to do so. My Amsoil distributor has over 20000 miles on his Amsoil Synthetic 5W30 in his 2002 PSD now.

Y2KPSD

Last edited:

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
RKOCH said:

Including a bypass filter!!! If it were me, I'd use only the grade of oil that was recommended by the manufacturer regardless of what my friends use regardless of their results.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
A bypass is a plus however 25,000 without one is fine as long as the filter is changed on a regular basis. A bypass filter should even double that. The base oil never wears out just the additives. As long as you are removing the water and contamients from the oil all should be fine. Hell That oil at 50,000 can even be reconstuded clean and additives replaced and be just as good as new. Always use the recomended oil grade not what your freinds are using. SAE 30 or 15w40 should be fine in most cases just make sure you are using a diesel grade oil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online