bad fuel?

biggun

Reaction score
So guys, I need some advice.

1986 6.9, crank no start.

the following has been replaced

starter, battery cables, batteries, glow plugs.

cranks well, I can see the fan turning though. my initial thought was that the starter was not turning the motor fast enough. I crawled underneath and looked the starter literally looks clean enough to eat off of. battery cables are new. i manually wired the glow plugs off a switch as outlined in the tech threads. when i pulled the old glow plugs out they were all fairly new and bosch brand. they looked all a little diry but wet. when your cranking it sounds like it wants to start but will not kick over.

Thoughts?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
But did you test the glowplugs?
Have you ever had it running?
Is it pumping fuel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

biggun

Reaction score
it is pumping fuel, have not tested the glow plugs yet. have not heard it run yet.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No telling.
Does it look like the ip has been messed with?
What's the story you got on it?
Could be someone swapped it, but did it the wrong way and now the pump gear is way off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Need a few questions answered. How did you get this rig. How long has it not run. Did ANYONE change the injection pump. Seems if the starter is clean enough to eat off someone before you may have cranked it attempting to start it and burned out the starter. Replaced starter and gave up. Might be alge plugging up the fuel system. Might be a bad lift pump. Might be a bad fuel shutoff solenoid in the top of the injection pump. Might be a bad connection for same Fuel shutoff solenoid too.

biggun

Reaction score
I received the truck in trade.
Story was, previous owner broke the key off on the ignition one day and tried to fix it, but lacked the ability. Told me it had been sitting a year in a carport. Winched it up on the flatbed and brought it home. Its got new parts all over, new tires, exhaust, ect. Little rusty.
As far as I know the injection pump looks original, and unmolested. Might just take it to a professional.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
WEll good luck finding any pro up there. Even down in the lower 48 all of us have a hell of a time finding anyone to work on these older rigs.. Sad too because they are stupid simple to keep on the roads. Keep trying. Many here can help with good free advice..

biggun

Reaction score
So update, cracked the injectors again, bled the air out of the system. Fuel pump is working but only shooting spurts of fuel every 3 seconds or so. Hooked a electric fuel pump up, but I don't think it was getting enough juice. Broke the 120v car starter box from napa. Going to buy new batteries in the am.

biggun

Reaction score
It didn't burn up or anything, the negative terminal cable snapped when it got stepped on lol. It will be an easy fix

biggun

Reaction score
Well today it fired right up. Tightened the starter, threw a new battery in and put a electric fuel pump and ran a few gallons of fresh diesel and cranked right up. Drove it around the block. Thanks for the help guys. I think it was really really dry. Then I went to our scrap yard and pulled a new seat out of an 87 gasser F250 and found the original build sheet from 87 under the seat frame. Pretty cool.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
See... You CAN do it. Giving up early is not the right choice with these simple engines. No matter what issues come up in the future. This is the best forum to get FREE help any time day or night.. Now about this electric lift fuel pump. Please do not run both the mechanical and the electric pump together. What usually happens when someone does this is the mechanical lift pump diaphragm breaks because of the high pressure from the electric. then your engine oil gets flooded with diesel and the engine is ruined quickly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online