Bad 2 weeks with a good end.....and new truck

Idilarry89

Reaction score
They arent it's just a lot of stuff to move out of the way like has been stated before. To be honest I just expect to do it when you get the truck unless they can prove it's been done quite recently.... but I'm not an expert on 6.0 s I have nowhere near the experience a lot of these guys have hahaha

on mine I just noticed this. I've been doing a LOT of investigation this evening. Finally cleared a bay in my shop to look over my new truck... an aftermarket filter with cap! Yaayyyyy!!! Now I get to buy a factory cap...any suggestions on brand?

Cooler is supposed to be here on the 3rd, and oil filter and fuel filters are supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the oil cooler in as soon as I get it. but that means I'll either need to get a different filter, or get acap here before then..... and yes everything is Motorcraft well it's supposed to be it's what I found on Amazon.

But I wonder with my high oil Temps if somebody didn't put the wrong filter in the housing...

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well... I don't wanna sound like a smart-ass here, but the only brand for a factory cap would be Motorcraft. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You can get a oem style cap from autozone to use with the motorcraft filter. I had to replace the secondary fuel filter cap and got one from there. Compared the factory and replacement and the had the exact same markings

Idilarry89

Reaction score
35 degree deltas unloaded. I pulled my idi home I hooked up the SCT x3 and used the data logging. I saw my EOT as high as 240 and ECT stayed around 190 too 200 loaded. Waaayyyyyy to hot for my comfort levels....

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooler is supposed to be here on the 3rd, and oil filter and fuel filters are supposed to be here tomorrow. I'm hoping to get the oil cooler in as soon as I get it. but that means I'll either need to get a different filter, or get acap here before then..... and yes everything is Motorcraft well it's supposed to be it's what I found on Amazon.

But I wonder with my high oil Temps if somebody didn't put the wrong filter in the housing...

You must be registered for see images attach

A bad combination is a tall "aftermarket" oil filter cap and a Motorcraft oil filter. This combination does not enable the oil filter cannister drain valve to be closed. This can cause a LOT of problems (lack of oil flow to critical components, lack of filtration, lack of cooling because the oil system not only provides lubrication, it also provides cooling for the engine, etc).

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw my EOT as high as 240 and ECT stayed around 190 too 200 loaded. Waaayyyyyy to hot for my comfort levels....

You are used to Gasoline truck coolant temps. Diesel engines like to run HOT. 190 to 200 degrees is not hot for a diesel. You can get concerned if you are reaching 240 degrees.

Idilarry89

Reaction score
240 degrees is where I'm worried about my oil temps. Especially when my coolant temps are as low as 188 degrees. Also i work on big diesels all day to make money. Im used to m and n series cummins running 230 degrees.:Thumbs Up

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah that much difference in oil and coolant temps is definitely a problem. Especially since the max oil temp should not get over 235.

Idilarry89

Reaction score
Yeah lol. I have a feeling this may have been why it was traded in.... it looks like they were chasingan overheating issue. New radiator. Coolant is clean. New t stat. Temp sensor, water pump. Etc. cookoo

I've heard that if the oil temps get too hot it will throw the wrench on the dash and even put a check engine temp on the message center and peg the temp gauge. It hasn't happened to me but seeing the temps when I was pulling with it I have a feeling it was. Especially it being a ranch truck....they get used

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine sits at 198 ECT and around 200 EOT all day long empty after oil cooler replacement. (40k miles ago?) The deltas you're seeing are NOT ok. I'd recommend not towing heavy until you have the chance to replace it. Addressing the EGR cooler while you're in there will save you from cussing later.

A good coolant filter is a must IMHO.

Idilarry89

Reaction score
Yep. Actually I put the cooler in it a few weeks ago. Deltas are all good now! Haying season is winding down and it's been pulling17 bales at 1000 lbs a piece with no issues. I miss my IDI but I don't miss pulling 6 percent grades out of the hay fields with it!-cuss