Back at it Little advice/Help

TOPHER1

Reaction score
Hi all I am going to try to get back at my truck again. I left off with it starting with a gallon of Diesel just below the new electric lift pump but not when I use the fuel from the tank. The fuel pump seems to be pulling air and fuel from the tank. Is there seals at the tank transfer valve? I have checked the pick up in the front tank and all is good and in operating correctly.. What else is there to look at from the tank forward?? Also if you all recall when I did get her running when it shut down the fan came off and punched a hole in the radiator so getting that fixed this week so I can get this out of my garage.. She will be up for sale once it is running and drivable..
Thanks
Chris

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "transfer valve"? The selector? If so, yes, if it's not fully switching to whichever tank you're trying to use, and the other tank is empty, it could draw air. Does it do the same on both tanks?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Both tanks must have at least 1/4 tank of fuel or they will suck air. These tanks suction heads usually break off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked out. As for the fan unscrewing and making a hole in the radiator. Use some Blue Loctite on the fan nut threads and torque to 185 ft lbs. Not many have a torque wrench that will tell you this lbs so make it tight and then a little more.

TOPHER1

Reaction score
I have checked the shower head in the front tank it was loose so I pulled it off and attached a rubber fuel line with a brass barbed end with clamps so it should have fixed that issue for down the road. I move the selector from one tank to the other and fuel level changes as it should keep it on front tank and turn pump on and it seems to pulse fuel and the level on the pump filter (duralift pump) seems to never fill up and the level goes up and down from 3/4 full to 1/2 full with pulsing fuel not a steady flow at the shreader air bleed.. where can it be getting air from tank forward to pump.. If I put a gallon jug of diesel on the fuel pump input the truck starts and runs but will not once hooked back up to the fuel tanks..
Fan issue will be resolved one of two ways. one locktight and lots of tightening and then more tightening or set of electric fans just to free up HP/TQ..

Thanks again
Chris

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a pickup tube rust pin holes right in top of the tank before. Made it very hard to find util I blew air back through the fuel lines to find the hole

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cap off the pickup in the tank and then pressurize the line with air (it does not take much). The hiss will be the air leaking out. Fix that and it should work fine.