Baby Moose update

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I had a Baby Moose pump put in my van. I thought that the guy that put it in for me had a meter, but unfortunately learned later that he did not. Granted, he has done a lot of work on these IDI's in the past so I'm sure he got it closer than I could have. My initial impression was that the new pump didn't seem that much different than the old one. hmmm.

Last week I finally had time to catch up on a few little odds and ends. I replaced the turbo hat seal and a couple injection line clamps. I also noticed that the turbo had a little bit of oil in it, so I checked my CDR to see if it filling up and letting excessive oil through, but it looked fine. After doing some research here, I thought that maybe the oil drain tube was being blocked by sitting on the plate below the valley pan so I loosened up the hose clamp and slid that tube up about 1/4" to ensure it was free draining. I am assuming that extra drain holes got punched in like they were supposed to when the turbo was installed way back when, but there is a chance that they are not directly under the tube.

Revised impression: WOW! There must have been quite a bit of blowby/lost boost coming out of the turbohat seal. It builds boost quite a bit quicker now and really feels great on the few little hills where I put my foot into it. I don't have any trips planned for another month or so, but I'll be interested to see if I get a little bump in fuel economy after getting the new pump and injectors working together. Now that I've made the investment in the pump I really need to get the timing dialed. I have a feeling that I am still running a little bit retarded, but have no reason to mess with anything until I have the correct instruments to do so.

Cold starts are still a little rough, but I think that may have to do with my timidness with the manual glowplugs and limiting myself to 10 seconds. Changing glowplugs in a van isn't the most fun thing to do so I'm trying to avoid having to do again any time soon. Warm starts are great - you barely have to bump the starter and she lights right up!

Like Gary and others have said, swapping out your old fuel system really makes a difference on how much of a joy your vehicle is to drive!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
badass van!
man i wish i had a turbo, turbo engines just feel so much better going up a hill, dont need to wind em up to max rpm to accelerate.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It might not be the quietest, quickest, or best handling rig in the world, but it sure is fun!

I forgot to add the other thing I did was bypass an electric fuel pump that was hooked up. I had seen it in the past and just assumed that someone had bypassed the stock lift pump and installed an electric. Well, further investigation showed that the electric fuel pump wasn't wired up and the manual pump was still in service! I figured that there was absolutely no sense in having that electric pump there as a potential restriction so I bypassed it for now. It is nice knowing that in a pinch I could easily hook it up by undoing a couple hose clamps and running a single hot wire to it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger