B99 Biodiesel...

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we use B99 Biodiesel without any alterations to our trucks?

I know that this is probably been answered a thousand times, but I tried the search function and couldn't get any satisfactory answers...

I found a source of this stuff in Daytona for 2.45 per gallon at this present time and if I can use this stuff all of the time, I would save a hefty bunch of money... But at what cost? :confused:

rattleonby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you can burn it in our trucks without any modifications or alterations....but heaters and extra in line filters dont hurt. I burn used cooking oil my buddy and i harvest from restaurants and supermarkets with a couple of 55 gallon drums and a mean pump with a battery and an inverter haha. I have no alterations or mods done to my truck and i burn 100% wvo in one tank, and diesel in the other and switch back and forth to start the truck up on diesel. Yes the downfalls are the fuel filter's life being greatly reduced (i average about 2-4k on 100% wvo). Theres also the chances of clogging your injection pump and/or injectors in the process. The more filtering and settling of the fluid the better. But if you're getting true b99 which has been cleaned and reprocessed via distilling etc. your risks may be reduced in comparison as to what i burn which is pretty much straight out of the frying machines haha. Hope I helped Bill.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can slowly eat your fuel lines.
Will also clean out your tanks and clog filters.

I would run it, if there were any stations within 100 miles.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
If its ASTM quality, you should have no problems. If its not, then its only as good as the guy who makes it. It will swell rubber tho. Even my Nitrile gloves expand when exposed to it! It has a lower energy density as well, 9% less. That means you will be down a bit on power and your mileage may suffer a bit. Below 6 degrees C (43 F) it will cloud. If you mix it will #2 it will cloud at a lower temp. Get a jar of what you're running and set it outside and see what it does. I have some jars with different mixes and I can pretty much tell what the temp is just by looking at the jars.
The upside is that it will seal up leaky return line caps and olives. :) You might want to retard the timing slightly. B99 has a higher cetane rating 50 than dino diesel 42, so it burns faster requiring less advanced timing. It has excellent lubricity too, probably the best thing you can run thru your IP, but there is no lubricity benefit running over 20% biodiesel. It burns way cleaner too. After tearing down my engine after blowing a head gasket on the 6.9, I was very surprised to see how clean it was on the inside.

Last edited:

gandalf

Reaction score
I used B-99 for a while. I bought it right out of the pump. My engine ran better and smoother on B-99 than it does on regular dino-juice. I made one serious mistake, though. I let a tank of B-99 sit for a year, and then ran it.

I didn't realize the full implications of the "B" in B-99. It's Biological. As nearly as we can determine the B-99 in my tank rotted in that year. Remember, biological, not diesel. When it rotted, or deteriorated, it lost all it's lubricating properties. Without the lubricating ability it killed my IP. I was not happy.

So, what I learned, if you burn your fuel regularly, not let your truck sit for long periods, the B-99 is okay. It smells sort of like french fries. But if your truck sits for extended periods, the B-99 will loose it's lubricating properties. That is not a good thing for your IP.

iverger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also your injector cap o-rings and fuel line olives. Just use Viton replacements when they start leaking.

+1 In the long run you'll need the Viton orings plus you'll need bioD rated return lines and filler hoses. Site member typ4 can hook you with the o-rings and return lines.

In the short term you can probably run a tank or two without issue. B99 is pretty strong. I did the orings and return lines last year and run B20 all the time without issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online