axles

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im needing to get different gears for my axles since im going with bigger tires, but have a few questions. I can't figure out what my rear axle is. Its a 1984while f250, the tag on the axle says 60, but on the pinion housing it has a deal on it that says 70. Then on the cast housing on drivers front side it has 70-1U on it. The door tag has 73 as the axle code, but I can't find anything saying what it is. So what axle do I have? How stout is this axle? Worth throwing money at it? Or would a 10.25 be more stout and worth finding one?
thanks. Jim

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this..... http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/differential-identification

Sounds like you have a Dana 70. Get the BOM number and look it up. It will tell you exactly which version of a Dana 70 you have. My buddy's '84 F250 had a Dana 70 also. They are very strong. You won't break it unless you really abuse it but then again anything can be broken when subject to outright abuse. It's a keeper. No reason to go to a 10 1/4".

Dave

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the reply. And that website! It helped a bunch. And it does have the 70U axle in it.

WhiskeyBottle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear Axle

Read this..... http://www.differentials.com/technical-help/differential-identification

Sounds like you have a Dana 70. Get the BOM number and look it up. It will tell you exactly which version of a Dana 70 you have. My buddy's '84 F250 had a Dana 70 also. They are very strong. You won't break it unless you really abuse it but then again anything can be broken when subject to outright abuse. It's a keeper. No reason to go to a 10 1/4".

Dave

I agree with Dave 001...If you have a Dana 70 it is pretty strong and you shouldn't have any probs...However, I think if you read up and compare Dana 70 to a Ford (Sterling) 10.25 you will find that the Sterling is a little beefier in more ways than one. I am not trying to persuade you, but just for fun and future info on those axles. Either way tho you have a good rear axle...