Axle Tube Outer Seal

Sitruc Nahanrac

Reaction score
I have just become a member of this forum. Yippee!?/! My first question for ya'll is one that cannot be answered by any of the people I have spoken with. Parts shops and even a Ford parts guy. I have a 1993 Ford Centurion, F-350 7.3 IDI, Dana 60 BOM 610432-5, The schematic shows a seal at the outer axle tube. Most of the things I have read say, Spicer 50492 or 50381 or equivalent from other manufacturers. These don't fit the axle shafts which are not machined with a shoulder, therefore they just sort of squeeze in an awkward way. I have read that using a seal spec'd for the 44's works but I thought that was the 50381.
The U-Joint is fairly snug to the tube but if the spec calls for #90 on the BOM then what is it??
Speaking of joints........
So anyway, that is my question of the day.
As for what I did on her today, got my ass handed to me by the dust brake shields!!
Bwahaha.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t mess up the dust shields. Those things are like gold to someone that needs/wants them. The 60 is different than the 40 or 50 for those.

Which seal are you talking about? There is an oil seal at the gear case end of the axle. I don’t really remember a seal at the knuckle end. Mine is a king pin though. Not sure that matters. I remember scrubbing a LOT of mud out of the axle tubes (toilet brush works great for that btw). So if there is an outer seal on the tubing it doesn’t do much.

I would point you to the Dana 60 bible. Everything you ever wanted to know and more about your axle. If the answer isn’t there... got me on where to go next.

http://www.billavista.com/tech/Articles/Dana_60_Front_Axle_Bible/