Aww man, now what...drivetrain.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
So i just got done draining and filling the transmission and rear axle with synthetic mobile 1 (roughly 3.5 qts ATF for the trans, 3.5 75/90 for the axle) which were both up to the fill hole and consiquently i knew that by seeing it run out from overfilling a tad LOL...and now...

...when i took it for a drive i can feel a rumbling in the clutch pedal. almost like i can feel the gears moving. also, when i push the clutch in with the engine running i can hear it almost squeaking. i didnt touch anything on that side of the trans. also, it is chattering a good bit (usually does for the first time pulling out when cold) in 1st when i drove it a few blocks. on the bright side it shifts like butter now.

i also tried to drain the front axle but low and behold...one bolt held me up. its butted up against the spring u-bolt and i cant get either to move (didnt really mess with it after i seen that). arg...

also, i just replaced the rear pinion seal and transfer case output seal and they are both dripping again -cuss there a trick to install these guys? i did it by the way i was taught.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That sucks man. Hopefully your tranny will get better ;Sweet

That being said, my rear output seal for my transfer case leaks to, on the bottom of the bed there is a bunch of what looks like grease and oil, and the only thing remotly close is the transfer case rear seal, plus that is all oily back there. I hate my BW1345, it was even rebuilt with all grade 8 hardware not to long ago. Should I just put in a BW1356, or upgrade to a stronger TC?

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
the BWs are stout cases but man i think this output thing is a commen problem.

actually i forgot to ask in the first post...is that feeling normal with syn fluid? or is something *****'d? there was no crud on the drain plug and the fluid was thin but black and stunk.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The BW 1345 ang 56 are a piece of $hit! Both of the ones I had recieved NP 205 installs. Never another problem.

But the leak @ the output is very common.

sassyrel

Reaction score
when you go to POUND a new seal--notice i said POUND--think about it--jolt,no????? go get some vaseline--enough puns--and coat the spring seal on the back side of seal--why??? because this will stop the "garter" spring from popping off, and then they wont seal, as no spring pressure----and the vaseline will melt eventually and mix with whatever--and no harm---also, check to see if theres a wear spot anytime you replace a seal--cause even a new one may have a hard time sealing on a low spot-----

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i thoughuly lubricated both seals with vasoline prior to install.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
just a thought but could the tranny fluid have leaked out the input onto the clutch?

i agree with what was said above, if the yoke itself has a low spot or burr a new seal wont last at all.

can't say for the 5 speed but synthetic made my old 4 speed shift noticably better. i have heard a 1 mpg increase using synthetics which isent anything so scoff at anymore.

Bamfster

Reaction score
My experience with synthetics has always been that when they get up to operating temp they thin out alot and will push past worn seals alot easier.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
well the chatter was the usual first time on a cold start then it went back to nothing.

also dont think the rear pinion is leaking as much, Evan suggested i clean replace the vent tubes as they can build pressure...which i didnt even think about. gunna get myself a roll of tubing and do all the lines up to the engine bay, probaly into the intake or some stuff.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Been a few days and everything has seemed to work itself out. the syn fluid was really worth it, i can shift in cool weather just fine now (28-32* in the mornings).

the noises and chatter have seemed to go away as well, all i wanna do is check for any firewall flexing or cracking to be sure it is all good to go.

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck, my transfer case output shaft seal leaks too, and it's an NP-208. Had the same situation with trucks I had that ran BW-1345 and BW-1356 cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online