Auxillary Transmission Filter Install

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
I am finally getting around to getting the E4DOA reinstalled in my 1993 F-250 4x4 Plow Truck...

I have a couple questions:

1) Where in the system is the best place to install the filter...
a) before the cooler on the line coming from the tranny
b) after the cooler on the return line to the tranny

2) I am putting a trans temp guage in as well where is the best place to install that in the system... the filter housing has a port to put the sender in... or i thought there is a port on the transmission that people use?

Thanks for your help

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to find my post....but dakotajeep already did it. You'll find all the answers in that thread. Good luck with the install...definately worth it!!!

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Yeah, I installed mine right before the fluid goes into the radiator and then off to the auxillary cooler. I see 175F unless pulling hills or pulling.

Thad

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Any one know how the fluid flows through the filter inside the tranny?

My thinking is/ was that it might be benificial to put the auxilary filter after all the coolers that way any thing that gets picked up in the coolers will be filtered before making it back to the tranny... but i guess if i get / keep the coolers clean then there is no need to filter after them?

excellent write ups but it leaves me with a couple more questions...

1) What is the verdict on running the fluid through the radiator? I live in Ohio so in the winter I can see pretty cold Temps and it is a plow truck... I need it to be able to be driveable in like 10 mins of idling...
2) How much cooler is too much? I have an AC condensor off a small car that I was thinking of using since it's free. Then just mount it in front of the radiator behind the grill...

What do you think about this set-up?

one poster mentioned a soleniod that will bypass the cooler until the fluid heats up... where can i get one and how much? any pictures or diagrams of the install?

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yah once you're filtered I wouldn't think the order would matter so this is probably moot.

I live in the South sooooo....I got nothing on the idleing and the cold temps.
As far as how cool is too cool; well like Travis says "a clean, cool tranny is a happy tranny". I have 1 more tranny cooler than most have; I go from the tranny to my perma cool filter then to the bottom of the rad, then to a small tranny cooler, then to a larger tranny cooler, then back to the tranny.

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
Any one know how the fluid flows through the filter inside the tranny?

My thinking is/ was that it might be benificial to put the auxilary filter after all the coolers that way any thing that gets picked up in the coolers will be filtered before making it back to the tranny... but i guess if i get / keep the coolers clean then there is no need to filter after them?

excellent write ups but it leaves me with a couple more questions...

1) What is the verdict on running the fluid through the radiator? I live in Ohio so in the winter I can see pretty cold Temps and it is a plow truck... I need it to be able to be driveable in like 10 mins of idling...
2) How much cooler is too much? I have an AC condensor off a small car that I was thinking of using since it's free. Then just mount it in front of the radiator behind the grill...

What do you think about this set-up?

one poster mentioned a soleniod that will bypass the cooler until the fluid heats up... where can i get one and how much? any pictures or diagrams of the install?

What do you ya'll think about these two things?

Last edited: