Auto v.s. Stick

zam250

Blowin Coal Smoke
Reaction score
My room mate insists that stick is the ultimate transmission choice when it comes to day to day driving and pulling trailers. I pull skid-steer tractors all the time with my 250 torque shift and never have a problem. So is this really a preferance thing or is there really engineering swaying it one way or another, because if i have to i will do a transmission swap. Thanks for your time. -keep them doggies rollin! rawhide!-;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO it's a matter of personnal prefference especially with the automatics that are being offered these days. Get a trans temp gauge on that automatic and keep the temps below 190F and it'll last a long time. Heat is what kills them.

Your roomie will change his mind when he gets older and the knees don't like to be pushing on that clutch pedal anymore...Don't ask me how I know:D

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pure preference. Properly maintained and properly operated autos have been bullet proof (when used in the right application) for the last 30 years.

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
tonkadoctor said:
Your roomie will change his mind when he gets older and the knees don't like to be pushing on that clutch pedal anymore...Don't ask me how I know

That's so true. Earlier in life all I wanted were manuals and they were fun when my knees worked properly, but these days and with Atlanta traffic an auto is not only easier on my knees but less stressful to drive.

Like the Mike's said a properly maintained auto will last for a long time, so it's really a personal choice.

Oh and the auto's are faster on the track :D

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pertaining to just 6.0s, the torqueshifts are god. they have 6 forward speeds anyways, and the 6spd in the 6.0 is balky and disgusting, in my opinion. ive never had an enjoyable 6.0 6spd, they are just hard to shift smoothly, unlike the 7.3

and they are similar weight wise, so its not like you lose a few extra pounds allowing you to tow a little more

so dont pull the TQshift that is the best O/D trans Ford has ever put out

zam250

Blowin Coal Smoke
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback I do appreciate it. So far pullin tractors with the torque shift is a snap but you are right i need a temp gauge for it.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory temp gauge does take a reading from inside the pan, i just dont know if its like some ford gauges, where its way to late when it starts to peg

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory temp gauge does take a reading from inside the pan, i just dont know if its like MOST ford gauges, where its way to late when it starts to peg

There, fixed it fer ya.

History has a way of repeating itselfcookoo .....BTW, how else would they keep you busy if nothing broke:D

STPETEBLUE

Old Dog
Reaction score
I've always enjoyed shifting a manual transmission. My last truck had one (http://www.stpeteblue.com/GMC). I had to order it special, since there weren't any available with a V-8.

Drove that truck for 21 years, and I still miss shifting it. But the truck I have now has one of the best automatics I've ever seen. I suspect Ford's TorqueShift is similarly impressive.

Plus, as I get older, I suspect I will feel as tonkadoctor does about the knees. Not there yet, and glad that something like that didn't force the sale of the ole' GMC, but it is a realistic assumption.

kenkillsr

Ken Kill Sr.
Reaction score
"It's elementary, Watson."

Auto vs Manu, either's gr8.

Torqueshift is SOOOOOooooo nice to drive. ;Sweet

A good auto trans is like a good woman:Thumbs Up

:rtfm

Feed well! :popcorn

Plenty fluids!! :cheers:

Treat gently!!! :cool

Service regularly!!!! :tool