Auto to ZF5 Rear Driveshaft

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and have not found a definite answer so hopefully someone knows.

How long do I have to extend the rear drive shaft for the auto to zf5 swap.

My truck is a 4 door and I am extending the part before the carrier bearing nearest the transfer case on recommendation even though I think it would be easier with the drive shaft nearest the rear differential instead.

I have searched and came up with anywhere between 3 and 7 inches. :eek:

I measured my parts and came up with the zf5 being 5 inches shorter than the auto trans. The shop wants an additional 1 inch to be added to the drive shaft for room for play. If anyone can confirm this

I got my parts off a regular cab so the front drive shaft will work, but the rear donor drive shaft is useless.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and thank you

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it all together, then call a driveline shop. They can walk you through the measurement process and will make suggestions based upon your needs.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had mine built, this was the process.

The rear driveshaft stays the same, because you won't have to change the location of the carrier bearing crossmember that way. Also, the slip yoke is located on the rear driveshaft.

I used an adapter u-joint to go from the 1 3/16 yoke out of the zf-5, to the 1 1/16 Yoke on the driveshaft.
Next, after installing the transmission, I measured from the center of the zf yoke to the center of the carrier bearing mounting bolts. This gave me the overall length of the front shaft. Mine was 48 inches, but measure yours FIRST. Then measure again to be sure.

I took the shafts(both of them) to the driveline shop. The front shaft will need to be re-tubed. Only re-using the yokes on each end. All new steel tube. I had new spicer joints and carrier bearing installed on mine at this time.
Then the whole shaft, front and rear, is indexed on the balancer together, to make sure there a zero vibrations.

A little over 300 dollars to have All mine rebuilt. Good luck with yours.

If in doubt, ask the shop you are using what to do next, they should be happy to walk you through what you need.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put it together drive to driveline shop in 4wd (SO LONG AS THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT HAS A FIXED YOKE ON THE TRANSFERCASE and have them take all needed measurements....

If you have a fixed yoke on the rear of tcase then your golden you can do this...if your tcase is slip yoke...yer screwed for this method

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online