Anyone know how to truck pull?

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
This saturday is the our local fair in turlock. They are having a truck pull there that anyone can enter. Iv always wanted to do a pull but i have doubts about doing it because I have been told you MUST MUST have at least a dual disk clutch to run a manual tranny in a truck pull. I currently have our ford disk mashed between a dodge flywheel and pressure plate. I have pulled my 5er without an issue and i haven't had a single issue with the setup and i just rolled 6000 miles. This is no competition but more of a fun time kind of thing. Iv never done a pull so I dont even know how its done. what gear do you start in? 4hi or 4lo? :dunno Just curious if you think i can do it and what advise you guys have.

braboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to find the gear that will move the sled from a stop and that you can at least 35 mph out of at a good rpm 4ih is better if you can get the rpm up fast and hold them
4lo is good for automatics if you get one that shifsgood an fast but in a stick find your gear and go for it just you have to get home in that truck so dont push it past what you know it can handle but most of all have fun when you pull keep an eye on flag man he is there to help you not to brake your truck good luck:thumbsup:

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I've wanted to pull too, but it wont be for a long time til my truck can handle it.

You just want to make sure that traction is the first thing you break, so you wont break anything else... :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO TRUCK PULL <<<

Obviously, from the amount of drive-shafts, bell-housings, and rear-end yokes I see wrung-out at every truck-pull I have ever been to, not many actually do know how to pull.

I have a good friend who has been professionally pulling a dedicated haul-it-on-a-trailer built-to-pull truck for more than thirty years and he spends every free minute of the week replacing busted parts so as to be ready the next Saturday night.

He wins more times than he loses and still sinks most of his very good pay-check into the pulling truck.

When you hook to a sled in front of a crowd and jerk every last bolt and rivet in the truck, although you may drive it home and all seems well, many of the things you cracked and broke will keep showing up years later.

A BIT OF FATHERLY ADVICE, the most intelligent people at a truck-pull are the ones whose truck is sitting safely in the spectators parking-lot. ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would think dual disk if you were running some decent power. What have you doneto your motor so far?

Remember ifif you do it, let off the throttle when the truck starts bouncing real hard as things will break.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Start with the rule book and make sure you comply after that check your hitch and make sure everything is up to ***** and then make sure your clevis or what ever your using is big enough for the hook. Now is this a smaller sled for antique tractors and street trucks or is this the same sled the ntpa uses for the big boysif it is then it will be much heavier then you could imagine. Next look at the track is it dry and hard then the traction wont be great. If the track is nice and damp but still hard enough that stuff is not leaving ruts then it will be a power track and traction will be the last of your concerns. If the track is damp but soft so everything is leaving tracks then the sled will pull even harder and your traction will only be ok. Now with a standard I would angle my mirrors so I could watch my rear tires so I knew whether they were spinning or if the clutch was slipping. bouncing = broken stuff so if you can't spin the tires with out bouncing then be smooth on the acceleration to keep the truck planted. Now most importantly make sure if you stop by a certian distance you can back up and try again and if you can try the highest gear you think you can pull first and if it lugs out then you can back up and go lower. And most importantly with a standard pick a gear and stay in it don't try to shift unless you like to break stuff look like an idiot and **** off the sled owner

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Well thanks guy!! I see most of you dont seem to be to concerned about running a single disk clutch in a pull. Every time i try and search on the internet thats all i keep reading. I have no idea what classes they have. Ill do a little more research. I think in 4lo with my 4.10 gears and 2nd or 3rd gear i will be able to get the sled going without slipping the clutch to the point of flying it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I have been truck pulling for about 16 years,and I have a room full of trophys you can take that how you want.

I dont agree with RUSTY BOLTS. Go as far as you can go until either you are sitting still doing a burnout(judges will flag you to stop) or you stall the truck.

Like 93 turbo animal said, check the rule books 1st and make sure you meet their rules.

For actually pulling. Start out in the Highest gear you can in what ever range will allow you to take off without slipping the clutch. Remember, these sleds weigh around 30,000lbs. I would say with your cummins and 4:10 gears you should be able to start in 2nd 4lo. I think 3rd will be too high for a basickly stock cummins.

Now, once you get the sled and truck rolling keep giving it throttle till you are FULL THROTTLE. You want to be quick about it, but not too fast to start hopping or spinning. If you start hopping LET OFF but get back into it so not to loose your momentum. Momentum wins pulls. As long as you are not spinning or hopping just keep in the throttle until the flagman signals you to stop.

Good luck, let us know how you do

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having WATCHED pulls at the only "built specifically for tractor pulling" track in the country for over 30 years, let me add this to the already excellent comments. I've thought about pulling, and two things come to mind.

1) - Don't try it with street tires. You will embarrass yourself. You need an agressive tread.

2) - Don't try it with an open rear diff. A locking rear is the difference between a 3 wheel drive, and a 2 wheel drive. Unless you have a locker up front, you never really have a 4 wheel drive.

The sled will usually start moving pretty easily, as the weight transfer box is often behind the sleds wheels. It isin't until the pan drops that the momentum you built will decide if you win or loose. Getting that sled moving fast is key. Once the pan drops, I don't care how much HP you have. It comes down to traction at that point, and you will either run out of traction, or HP. You WILL run out of one or the other, and most of the time it is traction that you run out of. There is no way a 6200 pound truck can move that monster of a sled once the sled decides you've gone far enough.

I would also recommend that you consider a drive shaft hoop. A cheap and inexpensive way to prevent a broken U-joint from destroying fuel tanks, the drive shaft, and whatever else might be in the way of wayward horsepower.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alan-
do bear in mind you may very well be running in either "modified" or "unlimited" class. also, knowing this is also your commuter.............don't break the truck.:eek:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
thank you both for the help. I am trying to find the rule book or even how to enter this pull. ill keep you posted. I also just got a call from a buddy and our camping trip is planned for August 15th. Im now up in the air about pulling with the trip that close.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Well i just spoke with a local high school friend that pulls about every event they have around here. They are going to pull in this one so i think im going to do it :)