Anyone know anything about ac?

carsonlhammond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, My buddy is giving me the ac stuff off his idi to put in my truck. I have a 75 highboy and I was wondering if the new style compressor/gas will work with the factory 75 unit. The lines on the unit were cut right after the fittings so lucky for me I just have to find a way to adapt said compressor to the old lines coming from the dash. Does anyone know where to get these types of lines custom made? I’d imagine I might have to get the aluminum fitting that bolts on the compressor tig welded with some sort of male fittings, possibly hydraulic line style fittings and hose. But that still leaves me with how to adapt the other end to the lines coming from the unit. If anyone has any advise please chime in I need ac bad, it’s awful hot in this black truck in this Sierra Nevada foothill heat.

Last edited:

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
The fittings and adapters you need are out there. In my town there is a company specializing in heavy equipment and heavy truck A/C that has or can make it. Also a company called tubes and hoses for ac lines and hoses. Custom ac lines are an everyday thing. Also check out vintage air and red dot. There are some very sharp guys on here hopefully they will join the conversation. Some details to consider but very doable.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your looking to do it the right way you'll have all your hoses redone using barrier hose, otherwise the r134a will leak out through the hose itself.
Also consider your old system uses an expansion valve for a metering device, this should be upgraded to a newer one while your at it.
Flush and clean ever bit of the old system, condenser, evaporator and box.
I did all of this to mine and it's been working flawless for the past 15 years.