anyone identify this rearend?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
You've got about a 90% chance of it being a Dana 70. I had one on an '84 with left handed threads on the driver's side. Took me forever to figure that one out, and stripped out a few of the lugs when I tried to change the wheels on it (I only had the truck for a week at the time). Anyway, that's what mine ended up being.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got about a 90% chance of it being a Dana 70. I had one on an '84 with left handed threads on the driver's side. Took me forever to figure that one out, and stripped out a few of the lugs when I tried to change the wheels on it (I only had the truck for a week at the time). Anyway, that's what mine ended up being.

theres an L stamped on the face of the stud :D

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 84 came with a dana 61, 3.55 posi, left handed lugs on the driver's side, but it was a gasser. A diesel 84 should have came with the dana 70.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen it on a couple of front ends, haven't really checked a rear diff for it but the bottom right support web as your looking at the cover could have the model number cast into it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ this. It sure looks dana. If it is, it should have the model cast into the housing. All of them I've seen did.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, the webbing thing is for Dana's. Forgot to mention that.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a 70 to me, the rail where the cover seals on the top and bottom is wider than a 60 so it looks more elongated top to bottom than a 60. The covers do interchange between a 60 and 70 though.
Travis..

Kistthesky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why lh lugs though? all the lugnuts were hard to get off for some reason- po probably didnt realize and jammed them on there- so i'll have to replace some & would rather go with rh if it doesnt matter.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LH lugs originally were used to prevent loosening of the nuts while wheel/axle rotated. Like a LH thread on the engine fan on the water pump...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online