ANYONE ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS WITH ADVANCED AUTO STARTERS?

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a reman starter i got from advanced auto the other day, and it doesnt seem to engage all the time. ill crank it and hear it spin, and i have to try it a few times before it actually catches and starts the truck.

Im gonna get a different brand starter from a different parts store and see what it does

has anyone else had trouble like that?

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah my truck does that every now and then. It has to do with the solenoid not pushing the starter gear onto the flywheel enough, I BELIEVE. That was my understanding when I searched it. This is the new starter I put on after my old one bit the dust. Does it make kind of a grinding-ish sound, so like the motor is spinning, but not turning the engine?

The solenoid on my old one went bad to where it simply didn't engage the starter motor at all, and after about a month of driving our backup, and trying to repair it on the cheap, I caved and bought an AZ starter with a lifetime warranty. It was a reman unit, but since it has the warranty, I don't care. I can go into any AutoZone, get a new one, and change the thing in about 20 minutes. I've been stranded before, it's a pain, but I'll never be buying a starter again.

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought one from Auto Zone and it did that. We returned it and got one from O'reilley. Though the name was different, you could tell by the markings on the box that Advance, Autozone, and O'reilley are all remaned by the same company. Our O'reilley starter does it on occasion as well. The Autozone and O'reilley both had lifetime warranties. I would think Advance does as well. Pain in the butt to change on some trucks, but you can hopefully get a new one free.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what you get when the bean counters buy parts from the lowest bidder

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best starters I've found, is the DB electrical one on ebay, brand new 106 bucks with free shipping. I've bought a couple and my Brother in law bought a couple also. They are holding up great.
A few members here have bought them also with good results.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a DB Electrical starter and had the same problem you had - it would work most of the time but not always. Pulled it and sent it back and got a full refund so they stand behind what they sell. I bought a Powermaster starter from Summit Racing and it has worked flawlessly.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
total junk

got one it went in a month. got another 3 months, then i got a 3rd missing a nose cone bushing. then 4th had the copper cross over wire erroded away, 5th lasted a month or so. then i went with napa and its been good since. i will get a power master when i have the money they do make one for our trucks and from the numbers the rep says they are a beast.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fortunate that I have 3 rebuilders in town. One in the same building that I work at. I have had great luck and pricing from these guys.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have had the same advance auto starter on my crawler for 2 years. it has seen much abuse, cranking in gear, and being underwater/mud. Never had a problem

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I never have any luck with Advance/Discount Auto. I pretty much only shop at Autozone now. For starters and alternators though, buying new or having it rebuilt yourself at a local shop is the best way to go. Then you can tell them to replace EVERYTHING and make it like new. At Advance, and even Autozone i'm sure, they only replace what is needed to be replaced when it's remaned. Or so i suspect anyway based on what i've seen.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My starter is the autozone starter and I very frequently have that problem. I crawled under there with a hammer all pissed off and gave the selinod and starter a couple of good swacks and it helped a bit but still sucks.