Anyone else running WMO in a non-turbo?

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a 89 7.3 non turbo 200k. I have not noticed excessive smoke but have noticed less smoke when it is warm.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup 7.3 NA, just have that heat plate exchanger i talked about and i get less smoke running 100% than when i switch back to a diesel mix to start and stop on.

turbo is on its way though when i get some time to put it on.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Same here, 420,000km on it. No mod's, all stock. Black smoke when she's working hard. Don't find it pulls as good on WMO but hey - it's free.

discbrks

Reaction score
Been runing it in mine for only 100 miles so far. I have a 5 gal. wmo to 10 gal. #2 mix (about 33%/66%). If I can use it all up by the end of the week I'm going to try 50/50 with off-road fuel. It smokes at start-up (on the mix) but quickly clears after about 1 minute.

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been running it in mine for a while now at 100%. No smoke unless it's to the floor. Pump might be retarded some as it has 140,000 on it. Start and stop on diesel. Runs better, quieter, pulls better. Filter down to 5 mics.

discbrks

Reaction score
My turbo is still sitting in a box in my storage shed. The only 'performance' parts I have are my G code injectors.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove my first 40 miles on scavenged petro fluid in my NA IDI, just a great mix of 2-stroke, gear oil, motor oil, lamp oil, Coleman Fuel, jack oil, some ATF, and a bit of diesel. It was all fresh stuff that was in an old barn, all of it was over 10 years old,most around 20 or more, the Penzoil was in cans you had to open with a can opener. Just thinned it till it was a bit thicker than diesel. Smokes less than on diesel once its warm, haven't towed anything yet, just drove to work when it was raining and didn't want to take the motorcycle.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Could you answer a few questions?
I am going to pick up my 1990 F-350 7.3L IDI N/A CC SRW 4.10 e4od truck next week. I had to get the work done down in my back. The price of diesel here $4.79 per gallon. I am thinking of running WMO in my truck, but I am worried about ash deposits, on one of the threads I read about one diesel owner only uses two cycle ashless oil for his WMO any thoughts?
I should start up on #2 diesel and switch tanks when temp gets warm which tank (sorry new to this) should I run the #2 on. What is a good mix straight 100% WMO or a mixture combined with diesel. Also help with filtering set-up on the truck would be helpful thank you for the information. gsgIDI

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
depending on your climate and mix will determine if you have to start on a diesel mix and then run on WMO. i do that but i am running 100. when i was running about a 50/50 mix i just ran it like normal. the mix ratio you can start off on like i said will vary depending on temps and your truck.

i pre filter all the oil oil before it goes into my truck and you can find my set up and several others in the alternative fuel section.

ash deposites is a concern and we dont know how big of a concern it will be. running a thick mix a cold temps is sure to increase this problem. when i get a chance i would like to set up a water injection system to both increase power and clean that crap out. i am combating this by pre-heating with a plate heat exchanger but it is still a concern.