anybody installed a married ZF5 and transfer case?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
im having a whale of a time getting my ZF5 and transfer case back in as one piece. i have two guys to help and the thing just seems to be a mile away.

i have a floorjack and some additional muscle. do i need to pull the transfer case off the back to make this thing work?

i was thinking of making a little U shaped rig up at work that can mount to my floor jack... like a cage with the top missing that will keep the tranny from rotating on the jack.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say for certain, but I tend to think that putting them in separately will make life easier, especially with the transfer case's unsymmetrical weight trying to make the whole assembly rotate. You'll have less mass to deal with, and bolting the transfer case to the back of the tranny with the tranny in the truck really isn't that difficult. Certainly, it should make aligning the cluch easier :cool

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
its official... things are MUCH easier with the xfer case off the back. i can almost handle this thing on my own. if i had a little chain setup like a transmission jack id be golden.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
yeah. for the 6 bolts and the 5 min it takes to unbolt it. you would be a fool to leave it on there

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
same i split them before installing wayyyy easer and then just bench pressed thex-case on the tranny, that took all i had

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we just put them in 2 weeks ago or so. engine hoist through the trans cover and it goes rite in. easier to get out that way also.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I did it with the t-case off as well. I had a buddy in the cab with a strap through the floor to lift the transmission while I was underneath lining it up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online