Any parts I should keep from scrap truck

1983idi

Reaction score
Bought an entire 89 f-350 dually to get the zf-5 trans out of. Motor appears to be locked up. Rear drums are siezed also. A real pile of garbage all the way around but before I scrap it to get some of my money back is there anything I should grab off of it. Like little parts that tend to go out or are good to have around as spares.

Plan to grab
-Started
-Alternator
-Vaccum Pump
-Diesel Injector Pump
-HD overload springs
-38 Gallon Rear Fuel Tank

Am I missing anything i should grab? My truck is an 83 and a 250 so unfortunately cant grab much suspension or body parts.

You must be registered for see images attach

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
I would be currious if you pulled the glow plugs if it would spin over

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well that sucks. There's a few things I need but you're 10hrs away lol!

How's your steering column? They tend to loosen up and from what I've read the actual column will interchange 80-91.

I wanted a set of those mirrors but they are ridiculous on eBay. Might be worth re-selling in their own ad. eBay wants like 175 for a pair!

Beautiful 83 by the way. Love the bullnoses.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The visor! I'm kinda a hoarder last truck I scrapped I kept like all the hose clamps and some various connectors and stuff spare belts just in case? It depends on how much you need/want spare things around. That being newer I think the gp controller is maybe a upgrade over the ones that came on early 6.9. I could go on forever on spare parts I would keep but someone might have a shorter list than me. You got a lot of the good stuff so far though! If I were closer I would want to rob the tanks+sending units mine both sending units are bad lol

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just about anything in the interior that's good. Those doors & fenders look better than most of what you see up here. People are frequently asking about those big tow mirrors. Grille, headlight doors, etc. If you're literally only using the transmission, everything else related to it (pedals, shifter, column, etc) would be of use to someone doing a manual swap.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you were closer, I would have you check if it's a chassis cab, and what you'd want for the bed. But that's a little far. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything that bolts up to the engine. core support, column, youre gonna need the pedals.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
everything that bolts up to the engine. core support, column, youre gonna need the pedals.
Bricknose pedals Are different than bullnose fyi...so they wont transfer over.

It is thoroughly documemted here with tons pics

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If It were closer I'd just buy the whole thing for a few more dollars than the scrapping rate I'd love to have a cheap parts truck to get all those random odds and ends needed! Better idea someone buy it tow it to a meeting point it sounds everyone on here needs or wants some part of it the whole thing would be a frame in a couple hours lol

1983idi

Reaction score
Well got the transmission out today. Tomorrow's project is to start picking away at the little parts. If anyone on here is interested or needs anything off of it and is close enough you want to drive to come get it I will sell mostly anything for it's weight in scrap. PM if you are interested.

Unfortunate to learn that the pedals from it will not work as my truck is a c-6 so I need them. So if anyone has a set of pedals that are for an 83 and need some for your 87-91 I got a set to trade! Lol

bigjimwhite

Reaction score
I live about an 1h 20 m from ya up by elwood and fairmount. I may be intererested in some things. My number is 765-661-1147. Text or call me and we will see about setting up a time if possible. Thanks..jim