Any options for new water pumps?

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'm needing a new WP on my 93.

She gets a little warm while climbing out of the Lake Superior basin, 8-10 times a week. 2 miles of 6-8 % grade. Gives the turbo time to heat things up pretty good. So the fan clutch is full on about 2/3's way up.

So I'm wondering if there are any performance pumps out there.
I've read that Gates pumps offer a little better flow?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why do you think a better pump would cool things down??? These stock pumps are pushing 70 gallons per minute at 3000 rpm. Thats really plenty of coolant flow. Try a better fan clutch or a radiator that has 16 fins per inch instaed of 12 fins per inch. Are you running a 3, 4 or what row radiator? When was the last time the radiator was cleaned inside and out? Too much flow will kill things....

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I have a new ford one sitting on my shelf. First offer takes it. I can't use it anymore. I have a few other parts I'll throw in there too, like CDR grommets and one beru glow plug.

The stock pump should keep things pretty cool for about 3-4 minutes. If that doesn't do it you need to slow down.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I've got a brand new, stock 4 core radiator. Tha fan clutch checks out as good.

I have installed a Holy Bumper froma 96, this winter. Maybe that'll help out some?

But the Pump is weaping out the weap hole. So I was asking to see if there's anything better'n stock?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
How many fins per inch and how many rows is the 4 core radiator. The amount of fins per inch and how many tubes the radiator has makes a big differance. I have a custom 5 row and I know a certain 4 row radiator that has more fins per inch and more tubes per row that my 5 row.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I ran a stock water pump but used a MS TECH fan clutch (locked up sooner than a stocker) then used a dimpled 4 row rad that had double the fin count. I could not make her over heat from that point forward even when I tried (pulling TT up grades with foot firmly on the floor).

Like ICANFIXALL said the stock pump flows enough water - it's the heat exchange that really makes the difference. I went with the 4 row because we were worried about getting enough air flow through the rad to shed the heat.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran a stock water pump but used a MS TECH fan clutch (locked up sooner than a stocker) then used a dimpled 4 row rad that had double the fin count.

I googled the fan clutch...NO luck and what do you mean by a dimpled 4 row rad?

It gets real hot in this area, like 40+ C and it's hilly, so I am looking at all options of cooling this engine, including an external oil cooler to help reduce internal heat further than the stock cooler.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
A dimpled core is one when you look inside the ends of the tubes are pinched flat not round - it helps SLOWS the speed of the coolant through the radiator so that it has more time to transfer the heat. The MS TECH fan clutch I bought off line - I think I posted the information in the IDI forums a while back - actually I'm pretty sure I did. I know there for a while they (MS TECH) were updating thier website and you could not order online but I'm sure they have taken care of that by now. If I remember correctly I posted it in a reply to EZ about his cooling problems.

The fan clutch is a stock OEM unit that has the spring modified so that it locks up at like 215 degrees if I remember correctly - on the unmodified stock one some of them can hold off until 240 degrees before they lock up and by that time with a truck that has been modified or pulling a heavy load you are already behind the 8-ball and getting back is harder.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
So, where are you guys getting these nice rads?

I got mine from ACE Radiator here in Fort Wayne - local rad shop. I posted the information on the core in the forums here - I do believe it was in the same post about the MS TECH fan clutch. I gave the part number as well so any local rad shop should be able to get it for you. No it's not cheap like a stock one but trust me it works.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When buying a new radiaroe just make sure it has 16 fins per inch on every tube. Otherwise you wont be doing much better by just buying a new radiator.. The new radiator must have more tubes and more fins per inch of the tubing. Why just buy the same thing you have and expect it to slove the heating problems just because its new....:dunno