Any opinion on cardon vs. dorman?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Ordering a new vacuum pump and the price difference between the two is negligable. Both are remans. Anybody have one crap out right away?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cardon's rebuilt stuff is junk! I'd search for another brand or a used one before going with Cardon. Your almost guaranteed to get a bad one or 2 before you get a good one.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I don't really like either brand, but the cost of a motorcraft is significantly higher. I forgot about the uhaul guy. I will be getting one of his.

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are the parts from the U-haul actual Ford parts (like this vacuum pump)? It looks like they are by looking at the part number. It says that that pump is for a 1990 7.3. Would it fit a 1987 F350 with a 6.9? Not sure if the vacuum pumps were all the same. I looked up the Motorcraft number in the parts bin, but it was different than the part number from the U-haul store on ebay.

Thanks,
Archie

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It says that that pump is for a 1990 7.3. Would it fit a 1987 F350 with a 6.9? Not sure if the vacuum pumps were all the same.
The '90 truck uses V-belts, your '87 also uses V-belts, the '90 pump should fit your truck no prob. Matter of fact the pump my '90 is running now actually came from an '87 E-series U-haul IIRC.

Then the newer serpentine-drive pumps use different pulleys, but I seem to recall people just changing pulleys when they convert from V-belt to serpentine, and even if that fails you can always swap just the good pump's diaphragm onto your "dead" pump, as tis the diaphragm that usually fails while pump body and cam and all that are still just fine. When you get the new pump don't install it right away, first make sure there actually is oil in it - the fill is closed by a 10mm (or was it 8mm) bolt on the back of the pump inline w/ pump shaft), very easy to access and check/refill oil when pump is off engine. Think I used gear oil in mine, or it could have been straight 30 - don't think it really matter much cause you're lubricating ball bearings w/ it, and anything is better than nothing.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I got the uhaul vacuum pump. My old pump diaphram didn't flow both ways like others have mentioned being a bad pump. After fighting to get the pulley off and losing, I picked up a vacuum gauge to make sure the pump was bad. It initially jumps to 20 on startup, but will only hang out around 7 or so. This was the case on the hose directly off the pump and on the hose at the booster. I'm pretty sure this means it's bad. So now I think I am resigned to buying a new pulley to the tune of $30.

I was really surprised when trying to pull the pulley. That thing bent so bad I though it would never work again. After putting the whole thing back on thouigh, I can't even notice a wobble to it.