any JP8/JET A burners here?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been getting sump sampling discards and the truck seems to really like this stuff in the colder weather we've been getting lately. I'm running 3:! mix, (ULSD 3 : JP8 1) the yeeehhhhaaawww factor is up there, EGT's low, boost 6psi with a run up the CA92 w/b 10% grade from ECR to Hillsdale at 1/2 throttle in 5th (75mph steady).
I know the base stock is Kerosene, but the anti-gell/ice properties seemed to make the cocktail more usuable. anybody else mixing the stuff? thoughts?
I know from the UAL maintenance crews at SFO, these trucks will burn JP8 straight but would eat pumps quite regular.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
went on the other end of the extreme this evening. The cocktail in the tank tonite is 5 gal of JetA, 5 gal of hydrostatic trans fluid and 10 gal of diesel.
Not as zippy on the butt-o-meter, but still pulls good. Like everything was "normal". I did do a mix check by combining 1gal of each cocktail and swished it around in a 5 gal bucket. that jetA broke down the gear oil pretty quick. I'd say it had the viscosity of 30wt. Got some driving to do tomorrow, so I'll give a post action report tomorrow nite.;Sweet

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Is it Jet A or JP8? Jet A is equivalent to JP5, Jet A1 is equivalent to JP8.

Should be fine with Jet A, freeze point of -40 and kerosine based.
Jet A1 is good to -52.6 and kerosine based.
Stay away from Jet B (JP-4) as it's roughly 70% gasoline.
Turbine engines do use the fuel to lubricate the fuel pump, but I would still run an additive.

And before any one says anything I did check my books to make sure I had my fuels straight...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Military organizations around the world use a different classification system of JP numbers. Some are almost identical to their civilian counterparts and differ only by the amounts of a few additives; Jet A-1 is similar to JP-8, Jet B is similar to JP-4. Other military fuels are highly specialized products and are developed for very specific applications. JP-5 fuel is fairly common, and was introduced to reduce the risk of fire on aircraft carriers (JP-5 has a higher flash point—a minimum of 60 °C). Other fuels were specific to one type of aircraft. JP-6 was developed specifically for the XB-70 Valkyrie and JP-7 for the SR-71 Blackbird. Both these fuels were engineered to have a high flash point to better cope with the heat and stresses of high speed supersonic flight. One aircraft-specific jet fuel still in use by the United States Air Force is JPTS, which was developed in 1956 for the Lockheed U-2 spy plane.
Jet fuels are sometimes classified as kerosene or naphtha-type.[2] Kerosene-type fuels include Jet A, Jet A-1, JP-5 and JP-8. Naphtha-type jet fuels, sometimes referred to as "wide-cut" jet fuel, include Jet B and JP-4.[2]

I'm getting a cocktail of both. some days it's one kind, others it's another. It depends where the aircraft is headed i guess.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
As long as it's not JP-4 (Jet B) I wouldn't worry. Just have fun burning cheap/free fuel.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went on the other end of the extreme this evening. The cocktail in the tank tonite is 5 gal of JetA, 5 gal of hydrostatic trans fluid and 10 gal of diesel.
Not as zippy on the butt-o-meter, but still pulls good. Like everything was "normal". I did do a mix check by combining 1gal of each cocktail and swished it around in a 5 gal bucket. that jetA broke down the gear oil pretty quick. I'd say it had the viscosity of 30wt. Got some driving to do tomorrow, so I'll give a post action report tomorrow nite.;Sweet

I ran several tanks of trans fluid thru mine a short time back, I didnt notice any difference. So nice to recycle my old waste fluids...:thumbsup:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's some pics of my filtering rig at work. 2 5gal buckets filled with 50% jetA and 50% WMO. each bucket sees about 45 mins to an hour of recirc filtering. it does make a difference recirculating. the gauge sees 2psi restriction at the start of the run. by the end of 45 mins, there's less than .5 psi restriction. I've seen as much as 5psi restriction and I add more jetA to bring down the pressure.
so far the truck has run three 10 gal batches of fuel. with the avg. price of fuel at $4.09/gal, a rough savings of $122.70 was realized these last couple of weeks. I have no complaints.;Sweet:D

Attachments

• SL375685.JPG
    SL375685.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 32
  • SL375686.JPG
    SL375686.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 20
  • SL375687.JPG
    SL375687.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 16
  • SL375688.JPG
    SL375688.JPG
    288.9 KB · Views: 14
  • SL375690.JPG
    SL375690.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 15
  • SL375691.JPG
    SL375691.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 17

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A word of caution. Jet A does not have lubricants like No2 diesel. You need to add some or your IP will suffer quick damage.

Other than that issue, it's a fine fuel for your diesel truck. Same base stock as schedule 52 fuel [pump diesel] just adjusted to work in the extreme cold of high altitude flying. Adding lubricity elements raises the gell point so airplanes can't live with that. [fuel in the wing tanks gells up, you fall out of the sky].

Enjoy it, use it.. lube it up and use it.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you are mixing WMO, you will have plenty of lubrication. No worries, just dont run jet fuel by itself.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I take it its not dyed fuel? But I wouldnt think there is a road tax on it. Whats the legal standing on this as far as all that is concerned?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger