any JP8/JET A burners here?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work in Aviation, we used to have a surplus of waste fuel. Anything removed for sampling is waste.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
I take it its not dyed fuel? But I wouldnt think there is a road tax on it. Whats the legal standing on this as far as all that is concerned?
Not dyed. Don't tell the LEOs, and if they accuse you of it tell them to prove it.
Jet fuel? Why is there a surplus of it?
Jet fuel, just like diesel attracts water via condensation. The fuel is stored in the wing of the aircraft, so since they cannot simply pull over to drain a water separator like we can their tanks get sumped (drain a little off the bottom) every so often. Sumped fuel can not be put back in (FAA says so).

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In aviation, it's required to drain a fuel sample from the bottom of each tank to make sure there is no water . All wing and fuselage tanks have sump drains designed for that purpose. This fuel then must never go back into the airplane and must be disposed of as a Hazmat item by the airport maintenance people.

As a courtesy to them, some of us haul away the "bad fuel" samples for disposal... by burning it... emmmhhhh.mm

Since large aircraft have large tanks, and even a little water is a large problem, safety first dictates several gallons be drained from each sump.

Just doing our civic duty to save the planet from all that harmful hazmat fuel disposal....

;););););)

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know how it might work for you. It's not something you "just walk in" and get done. Since 911 all airports and all maintenance areas are behind high fences and locked gates with key code passes.

In my case, I'm both a Commercial Pilot and an Aircraft Mechanic [among other things] and from that I know several folks who are Director of Maintenance for flight operations for private jet owner or commercial fleet operations.

Good luck, it's not a lost cause, just a hard one. With fuel prices climbing through the roof, the "contaminated fuel" from aircraft sump drains is finding way more interest than it has in the past.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Tried my first batch of Jet Fuel / WMO mixture.

I think I like it quite a bit! My EGT's have jumped up quite a bit, less smoke/haze at idle when cold ( I start up on WMO blend) and I'm pretty sure it' has quite a bit more power.

I may start looking around for ways to get my hands on discarded Jet Fuel. From what I understand, even at the local airports, they have to test their fuel for water content, and if it has even a really small trace of water in it, they have to discard of the fuel. Has anyone had success acquiring that fuel from a local airport? If so, what was your "pitch" get get that from them?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running JetA sump drain fuel now for over a year. Been adding trans fluid to it to get lubricant for the IP... so far no problems.

Once in a while I pick up a little water in the primary filter, and I always let it set in the barrel for a day or so to let the water settle to bottom... then don't pump from the bottom....

I like it... engine makes good power... and wallet stays less thin.....

wmoguy

Reaction score
I've been running JetA sump drain fuel now for over a year. Been adding trans fluid to it to get lubricant for the IP... so far no problems.

Once in a while I pick up a little water in the primary filter, and I always let it set in the barrel for a day or so to let the water settle to bottom... then don't pump from the bottom....

I like it... engine makes good power... and wallet stays less thin.....

G Mann: since you are in the "industry" what would be a good "pitch" for me to walk into some local FBO's and ask for this throw away JP8?

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wmoguy..... hmmm.... First... it's a pre-flight requirement to take a fuel sump sample from each tank...... once taken out.. it can NOT be put back in... ever... so the FBO [Fixed Base Operator] has to dispose of it.... now comes the EPA... in the old days... sump samples were just dumped on the ground and we walked away... now... HAZMAT and EPA... and every other 3 letter agency jumps in and says.. "disposal of hazardous waste"... get it... ;)... it went from $6 a gallon JetA to Hazardous waste in 20 sec....

The FBO now has to pay someone to haul off the "hazardous waste barrel" before it gets full.... and by current rules... that barrel must be a double walled safety enclosed ... bla bla bla....etc...... all that spells $$$ in cost to 1. Store it until you get a barrel full... 2. Get someone to dispose of it properly.. 3. Cover your ass when the hazmat or city inspector comes by....

Now comes the friend of envionment... Mr. WMOGUY.... with clean barrel, clean pump, and clean operation [can't spill even a drop... or EPA will take your name and kick your ass...]

To get to the fuel... you will have to gain access to the flightline.... think.. "Homeland security".... which now controls ALL airports.. [thank you muslim terrorists].... so you have to go in the front door of the FBO.. talk to or get to know the chief of maintanence... negotiate your "services" of removing the "hazmat waste"....

Larger airports have fuel farms and fueling trucks that fuel the airplanes.... with those..you will need to make nice with the managers there... who BTW.. likely drive diesel trucks.... ehmmm...

Good luck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online