Any Help?

RDCummins9

Reaction score
Im getting ready to purchase my first, 1st gen. I was wondering if there was anything that i should be paying attention to or looking for? Also what are some good mods for good power and a lot of smoke when i want it? Any help would be great. Thanks!

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
check the usual, such as leaks, make sure theres not oil all over the block, or head. if you really wanted to, and if it has alot of miles, you can check the end play on the turbo, if you can grab the center of the spool and pull it forwards and backwards a decent amount its most likely not good. i would only worry about that if it had over 350k miles,..really if theres no leeks and runs like a dream it will stay that way as long as you maintain the truck..pump mods?, well lol. you have a diaphragm right on top of the pump, a fuel line comes off and 4 bolts. pull the fuel pin out and point the more tapered end of the pin towards the front of the truck, you could also grind the pin that works too. on top of the diaphragm there is a cap right in the middle, pop that of and loosen the locking nut and screw (aka the smoke screw LOL ) then screw down as far as you want and tighten the lock nut..this mod pushes the fuel pin down more and allows more fuel to enter. there is another screw back in between the block and the pump but is a pain to get to :frustrate, you would have to take the fuel lines off to get to the screw..but other then that next step is some POD injectors, that will get er smoking LOL. cheap too out 440 for all of them.. hope that helps

RDCummins9

Reaction score
yeah ive already ordered some pod injectors and a 3200RPM spring and the kdp repair kit and the power pin. after that i think im going to buy a 16cm housing for my turbo. With plenty of other mods to come. Oh and to you have any tips to keep the getrag tranny going?

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
LOL oo the good ol' getrag... just put synthetic in her,put an extra quirt in for good luck LOL jk.. it helps to prevent overheating and gets to all the bearings,. to do so park it on a hill and top it off.dont drive her like a race car and she will be golden.

RDCummins9

Reaction score
Oh and i have a spare hx35 from my 2nd gen dodge, would that bolt up to a first gen? if so how would it run with some fuel mods? and what all would need to be done to do it?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yep gauges should be the first thing to put on that engine. The getrag is not a racing tranny but the mobil 5-30w does help to keep it cool. The hx35 should bolt up just fine but I think the down pipe need to be extended for that turbo. POD's well I'm just not a fan but it will smoke with those sticks. The engine, listen to it and if it doesn't clatter like a 2nd gen then it should be good to go :D. Check the fluids make sure there isn't any oil with coolant, the rest is a learning process.

jbelcher0628

Reaction score
they pretty much said it.. hx 35 bolts up just need to do a little work to fit the down pipe, forgot to tell ya to get gauges there a must..as for performance from the hx 35 it should run like a top. all i got is pod's fuel screw turned, pin ground down and im right at 30 psi. so the hx35 should make her work like a ****** in detroit LOL

MMeier

Reaction score
That full load fuel screw is not that bad to get at... 12mm combo to loosen the lock nut, 6mm combo to crank 'er on in!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7