Antifreeze Help

wolfman

Reaction score
Trying to get a recently acquired 86 f250 6.9 ready to pull a camper. Sent radiator out to be serviced and plan to drain the block if I can find the drains and get them out. Need some advice on reasonably priced , easy to find antifreeze that will prevent cavitation. Checked on 7 gallons from the dealer, and it comes with a payment book. Thanks for any input.

wolfman

Reaction score
Like a newbie, went to the newbie section last instead of first. Had a good article on cavitation and a list of products that will prevent it. For some reason, I've got a bad habit of doing things backwards. Still willing to listen to any advice.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
You can also go to the International dealer and buy the coolant with the dca4 units already in it or You can buy low silicate coolant and add the dca4 yourself and test it with the test strips You get from the same dealer.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or put on a coolant filter that is precharged with DCA4. I use a Fleetgaurd with 8 units of DCA4 and my levels stay 2.3-2.8 on the test strips. When it falls below 2, I get a new filter. Plus, you wouldn't believe the crap that filter catches.

Heath

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
ive got cat red coolant in mine thats what we run in all of our trucks havent had a pitted liner yet and a fleetgaurd coolant filter charged with dca 4 you can get all this stuff at any big truck dealership

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just bought some last night. It's red. I would have prefered to stay with green, but that stuff is getting hard to find. It says it works with any SCA's, so I hope DCA-4 is "any". :rolleyes: THIS blurb is confusing enough. What test strips work with this stuff, and what happens when I screw on a DCA-4 charged filter?

Last edited:

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
I just bought some last night. It's red. I would have prefered to stay with green, but that stuff is getting hard to find. It says it works with any SCA's, so I hope DCA-4 is "any". :rolleyes: THIS blurb is confusing enough. What test strips work with this stuff, and what happens when I screw on a DCA-4 charged filter?

red ? what coolant did u get and where but the red coolants that ive heard of are extended life coolant
when i did my radiator i put in caterpillar extended life coolant and spun on a new filter with DCA-4 so it will keep up on the fresh coolant this is what we do with our big rigs when we change the coolant or an inframe or a radiator anything to the cooling system and when the test strips look a little weak we spin on a new filter let the truck run and then retest and its fine

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's that FleetCHARGE stuff. Not FleetGUARD which is what I prefered to run when it was green and not precharged.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you install a coolent filter where do you put it? would putting it inline with the heatercore work?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i put mine in line with the heater core first and the damn heater didnt work well at all then when i did my water pump i made it a bypass filter in the heater core system

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so when you made it a bypass filter did you just T the heatercore hose and put it in that way? Also even as a bypass filter its still collecting a lot of stuff?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online