Antarctic IDI Build

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got started on the ambo today, I didn’t take many photos but while checking the fluids I did snap this. Hearken back to how nasty the coolant was in this truck
You must be registered for see images attach

Coolant filter working it’s magic!

I swapped on a new main fuel filter, and topped off the coolant and oil. Pulled the crossover pipe and cut each end off and replaced it with some ends from a na y pipe I had. I made a pie cut near the bottom of each end to bring the bottom of the crossover away from the oil pan and it now has an air space between the pipe and pan that it didn’t have before. I pressure checked the pipe and filled a couple pin holes, then bolted it back on and took it for a spin up the road. I saw 9 psi and it seemed to be building boost sooner, but definitely could be better. Going to massage it some more and see if I can fix the last bit of leaks and go from there.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just read through this, great build! i have to say, that ambulance body looks impressive on a 4x4 frame with some meaty tires!
It is such a unique vehicle, and the story it has is something else. I’m pretty jealous of the Matt the owner!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well although the crossover repair did help, it just still wasn’t sealing right, and it was starting to look like a “Ray Charles welding art exhibit” that I decided to order a new crossover from banks last week. Finally showed up this afternoon, so I pulled the old on off and and went straight into ceramic coating. I did one layer of primer and two top coats. Bolted both sides onto the manifolds and tacked it in place. Welded it up on the bench and added a bung ok the drivers side then hit it with one more top layer of ceramic coat after the welding.

Then re-wrapped it with the original titanium heat wrap.

Pulled the pyrometer out of the up pipe and brought the harness over to the driver side to reach down to the bung on the crossover.

I’m really liking the bung route instead of using the exhaust manifold, sure it’s about 4-5 inches further from the combustion chamber, but especially with all the heat insulation it’s still a very accurate reading. Not to mention it’s a lot safer modifying something like a crossover than an exhaust manifold that’s difficult to remove, and no metal shavings...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the crossover installed and took it for a spin with the pyro in the new location. Good bit less smoke, saw 10 psi for the first time cresting a long hill at 1100*. Never had to lift for egts which is very good, but still sounds like it’s leaking below your feet. I know the intake is not sealing well so it may be the sound is just carrying lower where there’s no sound insulation, but I’ll know once the engine cools and I can pressure wash it, but I’m pretty sure the exhaust leaks are accounted for.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck doesn’t have a front bumper on it, but the front frame is boxed and extended for the superduty springs and rsk setup.

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New front winch bumper is still in planning phase. With the changes to the front frame horns with the RSK, nothing off the shelf will work without modification. Or I might build my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the ambo was here last the wiper motor died and siezed, so pulled the cowl off to replace it.

Vacuumed up a couple inches of schmoo and found no rust.

Cleaned everything up and installed the new wiper motor, lubed the bushings and works great again.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Windshield washer sprayer worked too well with the new pump installed, and was missing the windshield. I really don’t like the brick/bull style that has the single nozzle, so pulled the nozzles and lines off a parts truck and notched the cowl to use the obs style with two separate nozzles.

Started pulling the dash apart to replace the cluster lights with regular bulbs so it would dim properly and found a broken coil on the headlight switch. Replaced it with one I had on the shelf.

While I have the dash apart I’m brainstorming the exterior lighting issues, I’ve now got brake lights but left turn signal turns on when you hit the brakes. Left turn signal now works but right turn signal turns the hazards on... gonna sleep on it and pick back up there tomorrow

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should do a tech article with detailed pictures on the wiper sprayer mod. The one on my 91 needs to be replaced anyway :D