Another Serpentine Belt Squeaker

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shortly after I bought my truck the serpentine belt started chirping a little bit once in a while. It slowly but consistently grew more persistent and now is almost a constant squeal. I've narrowed down the problem to being the top pulley on the belt tensioner being out of line with the other pulleys, causing the belt to rub on the edge of the fan pulley more than it should, thus producing the squeal. You can see noticeable wear on the belt from this.

I removed the belt and checked all the pulleys. All of them are tight-very minimal wiggle/wobble.
I looked for the tension indicator arrows on the tensioner to tell whether it is worn but I couldn't see it anywhere with a mirror or without.

The questions:
1. Will replacing the tensioner solve my problem? I think it will but just some confirmation from those with more experience ;Sweet
2. Do I replace it with the same tensioner or does the "updated" pulley with the mini shock absorber bolt right in place?
3. Any other parts required for this procedure? (don't want to find out I need something after I order/pick up my parts ;Really)

I'd like to get this truck running quiet again ASAP. It tossed the belt once already when I hit a good puddle while trying out my 4x4 and new tires on a greasy, rutted laneway. Fortunately it didn't sustain any damage and I had the tools to put it back on. Could have been a long, miserable, wet, and dirty walk home in the rain :eek:

pics
You must be registered for see images attach

it might be a little hard to see, but you should be able to see the top pulley on the tensioner sticking out a bit. *note* I did losen the belt and slid it back on the pulley. Normally its riding on the front edge.

so you know what tensioner it currently has.

Thanks in advance for your help! The nickle-and-diming has begun! :D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bad news.
inorder to install the updated tensioners, you will need to update the alu bracket first. see the parts bin for the p/n

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much trouble is it to install the bracket? If its a fair bit of extra labour I may just go with the original style for the time being and update it later...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm seeing a couple of belt issues. First thing the vacuum pump pulley has been pressed on the shaft a little too far. See the wear pattern is very close to the outside of it. Secondly your tensioner is shot. Now about the upgrade tensioner with the shock mount. As posted above. you willl need the upgraded aluminum mounting fixture that holds the ac pump, vacuum pump and power steering pump. I do not feel you can just drill two new holes in the bracket you have now. Your tensiopner is known as the exposed spring tensioner. Hope this helps you fix the squeek... You probably have a very weak spring causing the noise so its time for a new tensioner... Please replace the idler pulley too. They are plastic and wear about the same as the tensioner. The pulleys get rounded and will throw the belt eventually.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks Gary. Fortunately I don't have AC so it should make it a lot easier to do. I'll have another closer look at it. Want to make sure I know what I'm getting into first. I have a lot of commitments to keep and so the IDI isn't exactly at the top of the to-do list...

Rxracer

Reaction score
FYI im pretty sure i have that same tensioner set up, and i picked up a new tensioner at autozone for around 35-40 bux. My dad on the other hand has the other version that is not available anywhere but ford and it costed him upwards of 75.

here is a pic of mine:

if its the other version it can still be bought new at ford as we purchased one about 2 years ago or so.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online