Another Mystery Part

bjprk

Reaction score
Can anyone identify this? It's out of a C6.

Why do I want to know? I found it rolling around in the transmission oil pan.....

FWIW, the only "problem" the transmission had was that it shifted very hard when cold, but was "normal" when warmed up - "normal" being adjusted to shift very firm. The screen was clean and one sheet of a paper towel cleaned out all the residue from the bottom of the pan with room to spare. I can't seem to find the part in my Ford factory manual(s) - either that or I'm blind, which is always a possibility.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks in advance

Bob Johnson

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a plug the oem transmission builder put in the dipstick hole for shipping. When the factory built the truck, they bolted it all together and inserted the proper dipstick tube in on the assembly line. That plug gets pushed down in by the dipstick tube and lays in the transmission doing nothing until the first time the pan is dropped.

Doesn't go back in and doesn't cause any harm. Throw it away!

bjprk

Reaction score
Thanks a lot - It looked like it might fit in that hole but obviously if it was there the dipstick wouldn't fit.

I feel better now...

Bob J.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
30 year old truck, never had the trans pan off and people dont like the c6. lol.Hmmmm.

bjprk

Reaction score
30 year old truck, never had the trans pan off and people dont like the c6. lol.Hmmmm.

Exactly - I believe in changing ATF every 30 years whether it needs it or not. Actually, if I had bought the truck used and it was an unknown quantity it's one of the first things that I would have done, but since I bought the truck new in 1986 and have driven every one of it's roughly 200K miles I never found it necessary.

The truck has always been serviced by me, with one exception: about 20 years ago I took it to a Ford dealer who had a separate service facility just for heavy-duty trucks, diesel F250's being the smallest thing they would service. The service manager told me that they adjusted the vacuum sender on the fuel pump to shift very firmly, saying "that transmission should last just about forever." I don't know about forever but it's done very well until now....

Right after I bought the truck I noticed that it never got the kind of fuel mileage I had been led to expect and that the torque converter seemed to be out of a drag car - it had a very high stall speed. At the time my office wasn't very far from B&M so I called them to see if they offered a shift kit or a different converter. The guy on the other end of the line said "we don't offer anything for the 6.9 with a C6 and I strongly suggest that you don't ever do anything to it. There's a reason the torque converter has such a high stall speed, the torque pulses from that engine will destroy just about any automatic unless the torque converter takes some of the abuse. Just put the biggest transmission cooler on that thing and leave it alone." So, that's what I did and no regrets.