Another 7.3 crank no start

klub907

Reaction score
Hey all, I know this is a common thing and I've read a decent amount on this but I'm still having some difficulties.

Have an 88 idi with a 5 speed, drove it for the day, ran fine, parked it, went to start it in the morning and it wouldn't go, doesn't even sputter. Cracked the injectors and I get fuel to the injectors, bled at the Schroeder valve and still nothing. After this I filled the fuel filter with seafoam with no change.

Now I'm still suspecting that there is air intrusion somewhere in the lines, but I can't seem to find it, but I'm asking on here to see if there are any other problems I could be overlooking before I overhaul the fuel system.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Welcome. You've come to a good place for info on our engines. The first thing that I'd do is to loosen the hard line that goes into your fuel filter on the passenger's side and crank the engine over. This will let you see if the lift pump is working. That would be my first guess. Especially if you haven't had any trouble in the past.

KYSlowhand

Reaction score
Hey all, I know this is a common thing and I've read a decent amount on this but I'm still having some difficulties.

Have an 88 idi with a 5 speed, drove it for the day, ran fine, parked it, went to start it in the morning and it wouldn't go, doesn't even sputter. Cracked the injectors and I get fuel to the injectors, bled at the Schroeder valve and still nothing. After this I filled the fuel filter with seafoam with no change.

Now I'm still suspecting that there is air intrusion somewhere in the lines, but I can't seem to find it, but I'm asking on here to see if there are any other problems I could be overlooking before I overhaul the fuel system.
Had the same problem after setting overnight no start; advice I received said check fuel filter which was leaking and after R&R Filter no problem. I thought about just tightening, but a previous mechanic had used slip jaw pliers and mashed the sides. I will suggest anyone get a filter wrench to do this task.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
but a previous mechanic had used slip jaw pliers and mashed the sides.
The word "mechanic" may not be the proper term in this case. The ONLY time that I will use this type of tool on a filter is just to remove it for replacement. Otherwise, it's by hand only. Of course I wouldn't have to do that if I could think about buying a filter wrench BEFORE I remove a filter.:Whatever:

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with bronco , you need to check to see if your lift pump it working properly

Do you see any sort of wetness near your fuel heater or under the fuel filter is that release screw to drain could be loose ,

I would replace your injector o-rings at the minimum

Check all your fuel line fittings at the filter for leaks

May need to replace hose at the lift pump ,

Do you have issues at 1/4 tank of gas ? Spurts of throttle ?

Probably need to replace the shower head in your tank

klub907

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, haven't had much time to work on it but will check out the lift pump and for air leaks

klub907

Reaction score
Okay so I ran a clear hose on the fuel return and am not seeing any air pump through when I crank. Have done the 15 second cranks about 10 times over two days and I'm pretty confident there's no more air. I have fuel at each injector that I've cracked and fuel comes out of the bleed valve, does this still mean it can be the lift pump?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start thinking "electrical".
Are you getting voltage to the IP?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'd start thinking "electrical".
Are you getting voltage to the IP?
If he's getting fuel to all of the injectors, then his FSV has power. The electrical that I'd recommend checking next is the batteries, cables, starter, and cable connections (as in block grounds). I'd say to check the cables first. Actually, first pull the cables off of your batteries and clean the cable ends and the battery posts. That's free. Then, remove the ground cables from the block and clean the block where they ground (also free). Check the connection on the starter. It may not be good enough to spin the engine fast enough to start. Have your batteries tested and then the starter. Or engines need to spin fast enough to start. Otherwise, you can crank your batteries and starter to death and the engine won't even attempt to start.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Sounds like you're getting fuel to the injectors. Are getting white smoke out the tailpipe when cranking?

klub907

Reaction score
Got it, polished off the ground connections on the block and cleaned up connections, started right up. thank you all!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online