Analog oil pressure gauge

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The typical (only?) oil pressure indicator is an analog gauge, a pressure switch, and a resistor on the circuit board that sets the meter at mid range. Swap in an analog sensor, short the resistor, and you have an actual pressure gauge.

Is anyone aware of an analog sensor that is internally compatible with the gauge - the external connection is negotiable? I have not analyzed the gauge, but if it is the same as the fuel it is 20 Ohm low and 140 Ohm high.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Swap a pre-88 oil pressure sensor.
Should've been instructions here somewhere. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Get a sender for an 86 IDI. They had a pressure sender and the needle would move with pressure. You still need to address the resistor, but there’s write ups on that.

raydav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a sender for an 86 IDI. They had a pressure sender and the needle would move with pressure. You still need to address the resistor, but there’s write ups on that.

This is the Powerstroke forum. The old stuff used a bi-metallic strip gauge. More pressure meant less resistance, more current and more meter movement. For the later magnetic gauges, more pressure means more resistance. The early sensors were 70-10 Ohms as pressure increased. The newer are 10-140 as pressure increases. In the early system , an open circuit caused the meter to stay at the low end. An open in the later system causes the gauge to go to high.

As for the resistor, I don't need a write up to make a short circuit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online