amp light

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It come ON on the dash last friday on the way to ocan city :mad: and blink a few times, i keep driving and nothing change on the way back either except now is ON all the time. Cheked the alt and batteries and they all are 14.58 or so. Is it time to replace the old alt or anything else is in order?????

Thank you, Exekiel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
14.58 is a little high. pull the alt and have it checked. chances are the diodes have popped. If you have a external reg., change it at the same time too

Exekiel69

Reaction score
where are those diodes on the alt?

wath's the reg. (regulator)? Don't know if i have one there, and don't know much about electricity.

Help, Exekiel.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
The diodes are normaly stuck to the back of the alternator case. Requires full disacembly to access. The regulator (if you are externaly regulated) on my '90 is on the passanger fender, a little metal box sorta the size of the cig. package, give or take a bit.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, the voltage regulator may have gone out on your alternator. It may be overcharging your battery. Most Autozone type places will do a free test for you. It is not an end user repairable item.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ok, so the solve the problem i just get the new alt, right?

Mine does not have any external volt regulator.

Thank you, Exekiel.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. That should fix it, but when you go to get a new one, see if you can get the old one tested just to be sure it is bad.