Ambulance air suspension questions

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am aware of an -mid 90s F-Superduty ambulance that is sitting sinking into the ground with weeds growing up around it... It's a Powerstroke, so it's after 94

It's got the airbagged rear suspension [haldex tags on some parts of the rear suspension assemblies]

which would be really appealing in my F350-

but the ambulance seems like it's seen a lot of roadsalt underneath and the air suspension's mount brackets, hard lines, valves, etc. look a little on the ratty side

How complicated are the air rear suspensions to swap/ maintain/ use?

Any other parts besides the hydroboost brakes that would deserve consideration for cannibalizing if I could ever swing a cheap purchase on the rig?

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The alternator will be ridiculous output. I had them look it up as a potential replacement for mine, something like 165 amps.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Get ahold of Foxman here on OB, he's done the swap you are talking about and knows what is in there.
Even if some valves and such are bad, I bet they are standard truck valves and those are not expensive. I rigged a hommade automatic leveling airride on my truck with big truck parts and it wasn't expensive.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of the ambulances i have seen had very simple air bag setups. They simply had a line running to a schrader valve on the running board on each side that you would use to add or remove air.

If you think about it a bit, its not hard to see why they have it set up like that. How much does the actual load change? Most of the weight is always there, the box, equipment and usually 2 EMTs. The only thing that occasionally gets offloaded is a passenger. You don't need an adjustable air suspension on a 5 ton rig that occasionally gains or looses a few hundred pounds.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Both of the ambulances i have seen had very simple air bag setups. They simply had a line running to a schrader valve on the running board on each side that you would use to add or remove air.

If you think about it a bit, its not hard to see why they have it set up like that. How much does the actual load change? Most of the weight is always there, the box, equipment and usually 2 EMTs. The only thing that occasionally gets offloaded is a passenger. You don't need an adjustable air suspension on a 5 ton rig that occasionally gains or looses a few hundred pounds.

that sounds like just helper bags. the real good ones have an air only rear suspension that's *really* nifty. If you can get that setup , youd have a pickup that rides better than a Lincoln ;Sweet

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of our units have full rear air suspension. Its used mainly to make the rear kneel for patient loading. Its set to dump all air when the rear doors open and start filling to a preset psi when they close.

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input- this is definitely full air rear suspension. Now time to poke around whether it might be for sale or at what price.

tknomaj

Reaction score
I might want the alt if it is :sly

You can have the Alternator but please do not step on my Toes as I have allready asked for the alt brackets and pulleys if they part this rig out. I have a Brand new motorcraft 165 amp alternator to bolt on. Just need the proper brackets and pulleys. This would give me the larger width belt and GM style P/s pump for my hydroboost and no more p/s noise . maybe over kill but 15 hid lights , air compressors and 14k ramsey winch will know how to eat up that 165 amps:sly

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need the pulley i'd just pop mine on;Sweet

I've got a high output inverter that could probably kill my 130A junkyard alt if I ran it at full boar:rotflmao

tknomaj

Reaction score
Sorry to rain on Your parade but that is what I once thought to but the 165amp alternator is larger than our stock one and will not bolt on to stock brackets and even is brackets were modified to fit it still will not fit due to it hitting upper radiator hose neck and would require machining a new neck or making brackets to move it about 1 inch out towards the passenger fender. if you want my engine comes back tomorrow and can take pictures to show the fittment problems

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to rain on Your parade but that is what I once thought to but the 165amp alternator is larger than our stock one and will not bolt on to stock brackets and even is brackets were modified to fit it still will not fit due to it hitting upper radiator hose neck and would require machining a new neck or making brackets to move it about 1 inch out towards the passenger fender. if you want my engine comes back tomorrow and can take pictures to show the fittment problems

sure sounds good;Sweet. I never see any ambulances around here, IDIs themselves are hard to come by.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Most of the good ambulances come with an air ride like the Kelderman system. I't's like big truck airride setups, seriously high dollar suspension systems, but a lot more than just a helper spring.. Plus the rig should have an onboard compressor and air tank too Comes in very handy for running air tools aside from just the suspension, the rig may have a generator too Probably a nice spotlight

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online