Introduction

theSHERPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought my first post should be an introduction. I am new to the IDI world, and stumbled on a rig I could not pass on--a 1991 F-350 4x4 Ambulance (The Sherpa). It was originally contracted and built for the US Military and was used on the flight line in Antarctica. N/A 7.3, E4AOD, single cab with battery, block, trans pan and antifreeze heaters and giant alternator. Somehow it made it back to California around 2011 when its replacement E450 4x4 vans showed up. I flew into California and bought it sight unseen, and drove back to Texas with only a couple minor issues. The truck weighs 9600 lbs dry, so it is a pig.

In Antarctica, it had 44 inch Ground Hawg tires, but now rides on 37 inch milsurp tires with 4.56 gears. Kingpin D60 up front. Front end sheet metal is pretty beat up and due for replacement--not sure if I will try and tackle the 92 up swap or stick with the older style front end. All the lights and siren still work. I plan to build it into an expedition type rig I can use for camping and using as a baja chase vehicle.

I am currently retrofitting a 5000 BTU window AC into the back shelter (origianl system could only run when truck was running, and it piggybacked off the cabin AC compressor). Got a stack of mechanical stuff to do too. Working on getting it safe and functional.

Future plans (and future topics I will be asking advice on):

-Install the Banks Sidewinder kit I have had in my attic for a while. I think it is missing some parts and my model (square air filter intake) is no longer pictured on the Banks website or in parts diagrams, so not sure exactly what is missing.
-Install the Sterling disc brake kit with parking brakes for the rear end.
-Find and upgrade to Ford Hydroboost! Vaccum is not going to cut it.
-Look into shackle flip for rear to get rid of the 9 inches of blocks, and the SKY or similar shackle reversal for up front. I don't hink I need all the lift under it right now on 37's--would rather get back some COG.
-Recentered H1 beadlock rims
-Raise rear bumper back up closer to stock, and fix swing away tire carrier.

As soon as I figure out how to post pics, I will get some up (or Google "Antarctica Ambulance"). Its fun to drive around and I get lots of thumbs up and stares.

Look forward to the knowledge on this board!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Oil burners. The best place for info on these trucks bar none.

Take some time and check out FAQ, hall of shame, and tech sections, they are there to help you keep hard earned money where it belongs!

you will find tons of info and a friendly ;Poke now and then here but mostly we are well behaved.

Sounds like one hell of a cool truck and if I'm right its like these here.
You must be registered for see images attach

We just love reading about projects and there are tons of people all over US and Canada willing to help with advice and sometimes a wrench or two as well.

Check out the Marketplace there maybe parts for you kit. or post what you need for your turbo.

Again Welcome to OB

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's it! Ambulance II in the background.
Well ifn u ever wanna get rid of the flashy lights or siren let me know....LOL

Looks like the same truck here

You must be registered for see images

Not sure but sure seems like same ride.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7