Amateur Radio IDI owners?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every so often I notice that an IDI owner on here has an amateur radio call sign

(seemingly a significant number, not surprising given the DIY inclinations that go with both)

but I've never seen it compiled in one place, so here's an effort to do so.

I'm KD1YT (Advanced), former KA2TGF, licensed since some time back around 83 when I was a teenager. Not on the air enough in recent years due to "the rest of life" but I hope to eventually set my F350 up for HF Mobile, as I one did with a Toyota PU- it was a ton of fun

de
Trevor
KD1YT

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this today...though not for HF. I'm not an HF operator but I am avid on sideband. Please don't judge me because I'm a lowly CB operator. ;Really I'm anxious to see how many ops are truly on here because, like you said, I keep seeing callsigns all over the place on here.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm KC9RQT (Technician) got my license last year. Not on much but i hope to eventually get a radio in my truck soon.

w4dsb

Reaction score
W4DSB here this is a vanity call i have had for almost 10 years Former KE4...
Extra class operator with 13WPM code that i have probably forgotton. Not as active as i once was but hoping to get back into HF soon. I do a few 2 meter nets like aries and skywarn but not as active as i once was there as well.
As far as the CB'ers I was one of those way back , SSB and shooting skip in the heyday is what led me to amateur radio.
"73" de W4DSB aka Dwayne

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KD7VGT,, um, whatever the basic class is, my son wants me to get licensed for HF. I use it way less than I should.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
KD8FAY (General) Been into radio since I was about 13, licensed since I was 18.

Still run CB as well and love working dx on it. 825 is my dx number

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about this today...though not for HF. I'm not an HF operator but I am avid on sideband. Please don't judge me because I'm a lowly CB operator. ;Really I'm anxious to see how many ops are truly on here because, like you said, I keep seeing callsigns all over the place on here.

Some hams judge CB-ers-- not me; in many cases, it can be a path of entry, and it's all what you make of it.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well not a ham myself myfoks are both hams W7ORK is my dads call he asked for his dads call after he died and was given it and my mom is KA7ACY my brother works side band all the time at home. He is a truck driver and is on all the cb for work. I got a cb but only use it when we are running a bunch of us someplace.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love the cb still a great asset in modern life
when running with people it works great and when going out in remote places
i should get on more but i find the gf dont like it
ill go ham someday but right now its still a bit confusing

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Some hams judge CB-ers-- not me; in many cases, it can be a path of entry, and it's all what you make of it.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. The majority of hams I've spoken to are pretty judgmental....something about entitlement? I guess quite a bit of that stems from irresponsible CB ops who have the capabilities to get onto 10 and 12 meter systems and do so illegally. I wouldn't know, as I respect ya'lls space.

Damn right it is, and it actually seems to be coming back a little. The CB ops are getting younger and younger and are taking notes from those of us that have been shooting DX a few years in terms of etiquette. As for the GF, do what I did......I set my base station up in the bedroom on the desk. She got pretty frustrated with it for the first few months.....:rolleyes: But she's grown to love it(read hate it) LOL

EDIT: If anyone here works sideband on occasion and you hear 687 Leesburg, Florida or 24JR687....don't be afraid to wave. 73's and happy DXing!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a ham since 90'. I was a licensed CB user too back in the day. My call was KAJR8006. Now there is a bit of trivia! CB users would get more respect if every other word on the air wasn't F this and F that, and they actually ran legal rigs that made sense. I find most of the 11 meter band unusable, as a legal radio has a range of like a mile, and the skip and chatter from the illegals makes even local comm a joke.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I agree with the F bomb being thrown all over the place.... the immaturity on AM is unbearable....my RCI 2950 hasn't had the band switch moved to there in quite awhile....just USB and LSB. I also somewhat agree with the wattage legality....though if it weren't for guys with big radios squashin us little fellas out, we wouldn't need to upgrade our setups. A mile is a little minimalistic though......Alot of guys just slap a radio in and an antenna in but don't take the time to setup the antenna system properly...Then they wonder why their General Lee :rolleyes: (No offense to anyone that owns one) won't talk out of their front yard. Some peoples' kids I swear......

Trapper, what's your numbers? I usually hang out on 38 Lowerside.....I admit nothing pertaining to freebanding. ;Really